X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do I need a stereo?

According to section:
    5.10 GENERAL MODIFICATION – ‘STARTING CLASS’ CATEGORY
    .1 Stereo systems, alarm systems, gauges, switches, wipers, lights, mirrors, and other similar parts which provide no performance or handling gains, may be added or replaced with similar parts.

so if i decided to take out my stereo is that considered an illegal modification, also will removing the rear wiper assembly (motor, wiper, pump and all) be illegal?
    Car # 87 - 1989 Mazda Rx-7 TurboII Solo 1
    Way too many PIPs...

Re: Do I need a stereo?

Originally posted by Cheers!
    According to section:
    5.10 GENERAL MODIFICATION – ‘STARTING CLASS’ CATEGORY
    .1 Stereo systems, alarm systems, gauges, switches, wipers, lights, mirrors, and other similar parts which provide no performance or handling gains, may be added or replaced with similar parts.

so if i decided to take out my stereo is that considered an illegal modification, also will removing the rear wiper assembly (motor, wiper, pump and all) be illegal?
    Well, I guess you're getting into weight reduction at this point. The CCC will have to answer definitly, but it seems that all the cars that have no stereo also don't have an interior, so they've already taken the PIP for that.
    Arek Wojciechowski
    8legs Racing, SPC #77
    http://www.8legsRacing.com

Comment

How do I go about asking the CCC? I still plan on having a full interior just minus a stereo
      Way too many PIPs...

Comment

Originally posted by Cheers!
        How do I go about asking the CCC? I still plan on having a full interior just minus a stereo
        Just give it some time ... Dave or someone else will likely post here shortly
        Arek Wojciechowski
        8legs Racing, SPC #77
        http://www.8legsRacing.com

Comment

The rule as written is slightly ambiguous; however, the intent is not to prevent removal stereo systems, and there are NO pips for doing so.
          Last edited by James Mewett; 01-17-2005, 04:02 PM.
          James Mewett
          CCC Lurker

Comment

Is there a better way of asking questions pertaining to the rule book?

I have questions on 5.11.2:
            "The battery(ies) may be replaced with any similar full-size automobile battery(ies), provided the location is ‘OE’ and the quantity of batteries is not decreased"

What is a similar full-size automotive battery? What is the definition of similar? what is the allowed +/- deviation in size from the original battery supplied by the auto manufacturer? Is this left open to interpretation/opinion, because just about everyone in this world has his/her own opinion/interpretation of things.

A mazda miata battery is considered a full sized battery for an automolbile, where as a battery for a GMC 3/4 ton dualie diesel pickup is also a full sized battery.

I still contest the stereo thing, I could replace the stereo by a plastic pocket unless we are going by the rule "If it's not listed in this rule book you can't do it."

Also what is the rule on comestic modifcations? Ie replacing the cloth on the door panel with a sheet of carbon fibre for the *****, i mean racer look?
            Last edited by Cheers!; 01-17-2005, 02:09 PM.
            Way too many PIPs...

Comment

Originally posted by James Mewett
              The rule as written is slightly ambiguous; however, the intent is not to prevent removal stereo systems, and there are to pips for doing so.
              I'm hoping your last sentence reads "... and there are NO pips for doing so."

Instead of

...and there are TWO pips for doing so."
              Way too many PIPs...

Comment

"What is a similar full-size automotive battery? What is the definition of similar? what is the allowed +/- deviation in size from the original battery supplied by the auto manufacturer? Is this left open to interpretation/opinion, because just about everyone in this world has his/her own opinion/interpretation of things."

Well, if the battery fits the battery tray it is full sized. Obviously a Miata battery is not full sized in a truck but is in a Miata.

"I still contest the stereo thing..."

Sorry for the typo in my previous post. I have corrected it. Removing a stereo does not incurr a pip.

"Also what is the rule on comestic modifcations? Ie replacing the cloth on the door panel with a sheet of carbon fibre for the *****, i mean racer look?"

The body and trim pips are intended to capture the benefit of weight reduction. As a general statement if your modification saves on the order of 20 lbs it has become potentially pipworthy. Obviously removal of an OE stereo is nowhere near this level. If for some reason you want to "save weight" by adding bling you are unlikely to deserve a pip. When in doubt ask the CCC for a ruling on the specifics.

With respect to removing a rear wiper - if it was an option on the car you can clearly de-option the car. Otherwise a skepic needs to ask if what you are proposing offers no performance benefit, why are you doing it? Clearly we don't want you to be able to remove a bunch of things, each in themselves insignificant but significant when considered together.

If you are considering something that is not clearly covered by the rules you should present the CCC with a description and an analysis of the benefits or lack thereof.
                James Mewett
                CCC Lurker

Comment

Working...
                X