Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pete@Marcor
    replied
    Re: Brake Fluid... Which one are you using?

Originally posted by Dave Barker View Post
    Where does one purchase Elf Frelub 650? Cost?
    Actually, the Frelub 650 is about $15.00 per L.

I have to admit, I am a convert from Motul. I had been using the ATE recently with pretty good results, but always felt the Motul was better. I just did not need the Motul the last couple of years, as the ATE had done its job.

I have not been able to get a good enough brake pad into my car for the last 2 track days I attended. I had only gotten HP+s in the car, and a track day just puts too much heat in the fluid, from not enough pad. Hawk has been out of the Blues for my car for a bit, but they are here now, so they will go in for the next track day.

So, for the last day I was at TMP, I did a fluid flush with Motul RBF600. 3-4 laps and the pedal was going away pretty seriously. Never hit the floor, but was close. I assumed that it was simply the pads going off, and suffered. I would back off, and let the brakes come back. The pedal never really returned to its correct height and feel, even after a week on the street. Barely acceptable for a lapping day, not even close for competition.

For my next track day, at Dunnville (a track that is harder on brakes), I figured a fluid flush would be in order, to see if I could get the pedal back. Since we had the Frelub 650 in stock, I switched to it. Much better pedal instantly, and its performance on the track was much better.

Even at Dunnville, the pedal never went away, and the fade could be attributed to a lack of a race brake pad. I drove away from the track with a rock hard pedal, and no increase in travel as compared to the drive in.

Yes we sell the Elf, so my opinion may be biased, but the RBF600 just was not up to the task. I would expect that the RBF660 will be an improvement. But, the Elf is cheaper, from what I have heard.

Lastly, there is another race fluid from Elf, called the HTX, which is $23.00 per 0.5L. Not as good as Castrol SRF, but a step above any other fluid, from what I have seen.

Leave a comment:

• RRRex
    replied

Last season I put in the 600 in the spring and never touched the fluid for the entire season. Saw no reason to - must've had 30 events on it. Even towards the end of the season peddle feel stayed the same. Think I'll try the 660 next - I like over-kill.

Leave a comment:

• bbqman
    replied

Originally posted by Slowpoke View Post
    New (to me) rumour: I just heard that Motul has a new 660 (650?) degree fluid... should be priced about 33% more than RBF600...

I wouldn't consider that a quote.

The RBF660 is available and carries a revised price. I have been using it since July but quite honestly I never had fluid issues with the RBF600, so the 660 is like extra insurance.

Most Quebec racers have been upgrading to it because it is available.

Leave a comment:

• Chris91GT
    replied

Dave, Elf isn't the easiest stuff to find. Pete Mills @ Northern Motorsports sold me on the Elf and I've found it to be the least compressible of all the fluids I've run. I actually noticed a pedal feel change just driving on the street. That alone sold me on the switch. The slightly shorter pedal travel really helps with the heal-toe in the GT.

Price is less than $25 give or take for a 1L container.

Leave a comment:

• Chuck Atkins
    replied

Originally posted by Dave Barker View Post
    I think Chris bought his through Northern Performance (Pete Mills). I will confirm this shortly with the price.

Leave a comment:

• Dave Barker
    replied

Leave a comment:

• ScotcH
    replied

Originally posted by Slowpoke View Post
    New (to me) rumour: I just heard that Motul has a new 660 (650?) degree fluid... should be priced about 33% more than RBF600...

True, but lower wet boiling point. I have yet to cook the 600, so I won't be switching anytime soon (espcially at higher cost ... it's about 50% more as far as I can see).

Leave a comment:

• Slowpoke
    replied

Leave a comment:

• peter clifford
    replied

I've also been using Elf Frelub 650 for the past year and it's the best I've found so far. Before the Elf, I was using Motul RBF 600 but for my car the Elf works better and it's cheaper.

Leave a comment:

• Chris91GT
    replied

Elf Frelub 650.

Leave a comment:

• John Powell
    replied

Originally posted by Steven Scala View Post
    Gonna try Castrol LMA this year.

Then again, it's a thousand-pound car. I'm sure even olive oil would work...
    I've used LMA in the RX7 and find that it lasts at least half a season without even having to bleed the brakes. Of course, my car's fairly light too, but at about 2150 lbs without driver I don't think olive oil would work for me. Also, the Extra Virgin olive oil is probably more expensive than LMA.

Leave a comment:

• G-ForceJunkie
    replied

yup.
    http://www.casc.on.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=8294

Leave a comment:

• Steven Scala
    replied

Gonna try Castrol LMA this year.

Then again, it's a thousand-pound car. I'm sure even olive oil would work...

Oh, and I heard the Ford stuff ain't what it used to be. Anybody heard this?

Leave a comment:

• h-bomb
    replied

Originally posted by shawn cormier View Post
    P.S I do flush and change after every event.
    Shawn,

The convenience of not having to do this after every event alone is worth the extra initial cost of the proper racing fluids (pick whichever one you like - most seem to produce similar results). Factoring in that I can run an entire season on one fill of fluid, I'm saving money, time AND producing less waste...

Hanif

Leave a comment:

• malcolm
    replied

Sasha at www.sg-motorsport.com also carries Motul products. His shop is near 410 and Steeles, and his grand-opening is this saturday (30% off inventory).

check this thread for more info:
    http://www.casc.on.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=11090

Leave a comment:

Working...
X