No announcement yet.

Brake Fluid... Which one are you using?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Brake Fluid... Which one are you using?

Castrol LMA, and I haven't had to bleed the brakes after the start of the season yet. Except, that is, the time at a Mosport test day when I blew a rear brake line going down through the chute and wound up in the tires on the outside of 5a.
    The Man's Prayer:
    "I'm a man, but I can change ... if I have to ... I guess!"

"I'm so old that when I hear the word "Spandex" I think of watch bracelets."

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by G-ForceJunkie
      We run Ford HD and have yet to have any problems related to the brake fluid ...except for it burning at the DDT.

We do bleed it fairly often though
      I used to do this, however when I took into account the 4-5 bottles of fluid I used yearly to use doing my bleed at the conclusion of every track event, it was actually cheaper to use the more expensive fluid since it lasts VASTLY longer (so far I'm at 20 times longer and counting)....

Comment

A wise man suggested that I alternate SuperBlue and RBF600. That way at complete flushes it's easier to tell when the new fluid makes it to that corner.

I don't know how to drive and I'm hard on brakes. If I don't take the front splash shields off before a full track day I'll get fade. Without them... no problem.
        sigpic

Stephen, SPDA VP, OTA Director, CCC Member
        OTA: SGT1 ! -=- CSCS: SSA #842

Comment

Originally posted by Slowpoke
          A wise man suggested that I alternate SuperBlue and RBF600. That way at complete flushes it's easier to tell when the new fluid makes it to that corner.

I don't know how to drive and I'm hard on brakes. If I don't take the front splash shields off before a full track day I'll get fade. Without them... no problem.
          ATE makes the exact SuperBlue formulation in an amber colour called TYP200.

Hanif

Comment

RBF600 here... no problems.

Comment

Hmmm... Ford HD. I never have any problems. 24x20minute OCC races this year. 4x20min TGT races, 4x40 minute TGT races, 16x20 minute qualifiying sessions, at least 16x15minute warmup sessions... one bottle of Ford HD at the beginning of the year, bled the brakes once in the middle of the year. What do you guys do to your brakes to be so hard on fluid, use them? Shame... they only slow you down...
              Racing is the process of turning money into noise.

Comment

Originally posted by John Powell
                Castrol LMA, and I haven't had to bleed the brakes after the start of the season yet. Except, that is, the time at a Mosport test day when I blew a rear brake line going down through the chute and wound up in the tires on the outside of 5a.
                I had the same thing happen! Although mine was a left front line. not fun.

Comment

what do we do

go fast.....

more speed you make the heat loss is vastly greater....the speed makes a huge difference in the heat you have to dissapate....

in my NA 240sx...i can use almost stock pads...and never change the fluid...
                  in the turbo 240sx..i have to use HT-10's and bleed the brakes every weekend...

same cars..just 300hp difference... its the dropping of speed that kills you

Originally posted by rmicroys
                  Hmmm... Ford HD. I never have any problems. 24x20minute OCC races this year. 4x20min TGT races, 4x40 minute TGT races, 16x20 minute qualifiying sessions, at least 16x15minute warmup sessions... one bottle of Ford HD at the beginning of the year, bled the brakes once in the middle of the year. What do you guys do to your brakes to be so hard on fluid, use them? Shame... they only slow you down...
                  Former CCC member, and shit disturber

winner of a bunch of different classes over many years

breaker of parts, burner of engines

CREATOR OF "ULTIMATE DOOM 570SX"

Comment

Originally posted by ADAM
                    what do we do

go fast.....

more speed you make the heat loss is vastly greater....the speed makes a huge difference in the heat you have to dissapate....

in my NA 240sx...i can use almost stock pads...and never change the fluid...
                    in the turbo 240sx..i have to use HT-10's and bleed the brakes every weekend...

same cars..just 300hp difference... its the dropping of speed that kills you
                    Biggest difference is that at Mosport (where rmocroys does all of his driving) speeds are higher which allows for much more cooling between corners and Mosport is very light on brakes. I barely use mine there, but Dungville is a different story.

Hanif

Comment

good point...
                      Former CCC member, and shit disturber

winner of a bunch of different classes over many years

breaker of parts, burner of engines

CREATOR OF "ULTIMATE DOOM 570SX"

Comment

Originally posted by haniforama
                        Biggest difference is that at Mosport (where rmocroys does all of his driving) speeds are higher which allows for much more cooling between corners and Mosport is very light on brakes. I barely use mine there, but Dungville is a different story.

Hanif
                        um, not *all* of his driving... I am pretty sure he did at least two events at shannonville this summer.

but yeah, the circuit does make a difference, as does power to a degree. weight is, of course, likely one of the most important variables.

Comment

whats the difference between ATE 200 and the super blue fluids?

(i've been using ford dot3.. but if i can get away with bleeding the brakes LESS for a few more bucks... i'd go that route pho sho... i'm cheap and lazy
                          but more lazy than cheap )

http://www.contiteves-am.com/generat...f_info_en.html

holla back

Comment

I dare anyone to try and go a full season on Ford fluid or even 4 events without bleeding. I boiled fresh stuff at ddt last season in my ITR w/ Blues.
                            Benjamin Freeling

'98 ITR ('05 season)
                            GT2 SOLO 1

New Car for 2010:
                            '92 Civic DX #187
                            GT4-S

Comment

Ford HD but we bleed after every race weekend. Works great. Thinking about changing though, so I don't feel compelled to bleed all the time, so this is a good thread to see what works for all you guys
                              James McDougall
                              No Limit Motorsports
                              2008 Mobil 1 GT Champions, GT3 Class
                              2007 Ontario Challenge Cup Champions, GT3 Class

"If you can't fix it with a hammer, you have an electrical problem"

Comment

Originally posted by finboy
                                whats the difference between ATE 200 and the super blue fluids?

(i've been using ford dot3.. but if i can get away with bleeding the brakes LESS for a few more bucks... i'd go that route pho sho... i'm cheap and lazy
                                but more lazy than cheap )

http://www.contiteves-am.com/generat...f_info_en.html

holla back
                                Same fluid, different colour. If you alternate between the two, it makes it easier to tell when you've flushed the whole system (so I'm told).

I use the typ200 and am happy with it.
                                http://www.pitl.ca

Comment

Working...
                                X