Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone ever seen or used diamondracingwheels?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone ever seen or used diamondracingwheels?

I'm thinking of picking up a set

http://www.diamondracingwheels.com/AvengerSeries.htm

16x8, 5x4.5 PCD, 5 1/8" backspace (not sure if they can do 1/8" backspacing)

is only 17 lbs.
    Car # 87 - 1989 Mazda Rx-7 TurboII Solo 1
    Way too many PIPs...

Re: Anyone ever seen or used diamondracingwheels?

15 X 18 wheel...

so whats the deal with these wheels, why are they so cheap?

and they state that they are lug-centric, does this pose a problem?
    set tire pressures to winning!

Comment

they are steel wheels and from what I've seen they tend to bend easily....
      2005 F-Super Stock National Champion
      2005 F-Super Stock Regional Champion

We Don't inherit the world from our Parents, We borrow it from our Children

Comment

Make sure you are looking at the Road Race wheels, not the Midget wheels. There is a diffence in weight and strength. I don't know about their durability, but have seen several SCCA competitors using them.

Rob

Comment

I have a set that I've used for three years - no bent ones so far. The wheels are made of alloy steel which is stronger so the wheels can be lighter.
          They are lug-centric which means that balancing can be a problem since virtually all wheel balancers are designed for hub centric wheels. The centre hole in a Diamond wheel is stamped out and this centre may not quite correspond to the geometric centre of the wheel. There will probably be some runout and it may not be possible to completely balance a wheel on a hub-centric balancer. If you put the wheels on at home and drive to the track this is annoying since you have a case of the shakes all the way there and back. If you are only using the wheels on track, you will never notice it except possibly on the straight.

Comment

hrm... the beauty of the diamond racing wheels is I can actually get 16x8" wheel and not have to pay for exotic japense forged aluminum light weight wheels that are pre order only. Even the aluminum race forged wheels from bogart or forgeline are ultra dollars.

I have a spare hub at home that I can possibly mount the wheel onto with lug nuts. That way I could balance them on a normal machine...

I'm going to give them a call for pricing.
            Way too many PIPs...

Comment

they are an american company correct?
              set tire pressures to winning!

Comment

I see you are getting some race wheels No fair My stock rims are tiny!

Comment

Originally posted by thgear
                  they are an american company correct?

yeah American
                  2005 F-Super Stock National Champion
                  2005 F-Super Stock Regional Champion

We Don't inherit the world from our Parents, We borrow it from our Children

Comment

Originally posted by gatherer
                    yeah American

Good nafta applies
                    Way too many PIPs...

Comment

What's the trade off between unsprung weight and maximizing tire contact patch? 16x8 diamondracing wheels (steels) are 21 lbs. Stock rx7 wheels 16x7 are 16 lbs. Is it more advantageous to go ultra light weight wheel with a 225 tire or is it better to go with a 245 tire on a heavier wheel set?

It's a gain of 20mm x 4 which is 80mm bigger of contact patch, Which is quite a bit. But then you are adding 5 lbs to each wheel or 40 lbs of unsprung weight.

-Jason
                      Way too many PIPs...

Comment

There's also a Canadian company in Vancouver that I found call Kodiak. I don't know anyone who runs them but do think they look sexier than the ones posted.

http://www.kodiakracingwheels.com/

Comment

Originally posted by RRRex
                          There's also a Canadian company in Vancouver that I found call Kodiak. I don't know anyone who runs them but do think they look sexier than the ones posted.

http://www.kodiakracingwheels.com/
                          For 6x the price, they better be!

I'm pretty sure CSC is a distributor for Diamond wheels. They're cheap, but thats about all they have going for them. I wouldn't want to be mounting/flipping tires on them very often.
                          http://www.pitl.ca

Comment

Originally posted by 13inches
                            For 6x the price, they better be!

I'm pretty sure CSC is a distributor for Diamond wheels. They're cheap, but thats about all they have going for them. I wouldn't want to be mounting/flipping tires on them very often.
                            I'm not paying 470 USD for one wheel. Plus they aren't that good. Most FSAE teams found that the kodiak, kaiser, and Kruzer wheels leak air too easily and bend whenever the tire changes change teh tires.
                            Way too many PIPs...

Comment

Diamond wheels are typical of circle track type steel racing wheels. I haven't used them but I use Aero wheels which are very similar. The spun rim steel race wheels are only slightly heavier than a good aluminum race wheel, but they are extremely cheap - around C$100 for the ones I use (13 x 8 and 13 x 10). They are cheap because they're cheap to make.

There is no problem changing tires. As far as durability, they are a little more bendable than aluminum, but they are less likely to fatigue or crack.

Balance can be a problem with them being lug-centric, although I have not seen this with the Aeros. You do need to use the right lug nuts, since the seats are cut at 45 degrees instead of 60 like a street wheel.

If you want to find out more, talk to a circle-track-savvy shop like CSC Racing (who carry Diamond) or Grisdale, who carry several brands.
                              Another quality post from Black Dwarf Racing

Comment

Working...
                              X