Tire Talk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tire Talk

can we have a tire discussion? I have been searching all over the net for some good info on R-comp tires specificaly for road-race style competition.

i know we have been over it before, but with the year 2006 there are some new rubbers out there. Also all the talk here is mainly focused on one or two brands, are there other alternatives?

also tires that people in auto-x (solo2) rave about, are they necessarily good for slightly longer races such as our solo 1 format?

also there are tires that like a bit of camber(or alot), and tires that like a faltter car (like a miata)

cuz i'm trying to figure out which tires to buy, and quite honestly the choice is quite large. So far i'm leaning towards the RA-1's simply because they are tried, tested and true, and fit my needs, long lasting, good in the wet, and relativly good performance (hmmm sounds like a condom add...)

cuz there are a bunch of Yoko tires people dont really talk all too much about.

and when people start talking of hoosiers, the impression that i get is that they just talk about the brand not any particular tire for a particular usage.

so yeah? can we have a technical discussion (or links to, technical discussions) about affordable tires? (cuz obviously some are out of this world, i have a buddy in teh states that can get ahold of some used F1 qualifying rubber... but you know.. 13" wheels and all.... ahahahah)
    set tire pressures to winning!

Re: Tire Talk

Pssst . . .

I heard about this guy from somewhere in the states, who liked to fool around with home inventions and the like. He was also a low budget racer and over the years he kept working on molding and retreading his own tires. Started melting down different rubbers and adding all kinds of exotic ingredients into the mix. Rumour has it that he came up with a miracle compound that was stickier that any F1 slick, lasted for 30 or 40 track days. He could manufacture them for less than 50 bucks a piece. They came up to temp and full grip within 100 yards of launch. And he actually submitted then for testing and got DOT approval !

But as is usually the case, the big guys (Goodyear, Bridgestone, etc.) found out about it and bought him out for several million dollars. Of course the guy was thrilled and is now living on some Caribbean island, sipping down margarita's with bikini clad super models - and the BIG GUYS well, they are just sitting on his inventon, keeping it off the market, because they know it would put them all out of business. You don't hear much about this - because everyone was forced to sign a strict non-disclosure agreement.

I only know about it because my brother's, next door neighbour, used to date the cousin of the inventor's accountant.

Some may doubt my story - but it's absolutely true - fact beyond question and anyone who denies it is probably just being paid off by the big money tire makers.

(what can I say, it's getting late, I'm tired and my iceracer is .... well that's another story )
    ===================
    M NICK MAJORS
    Race Director - CASC-OR

- 2010 CASC-OR Formula Libre Roadrace Champion (Elan DP02 sportsracer)
    - 2006/2007/2008 - 3 time CASC-OR GT1 Roadrace Champion (Viper Competition Coupe)
    - 2008 Mobil1 RaceOntario OVERALL Roadrace Champion ("Darth Viper")
    - 2007 Ice Racing OVERALL and RWD Stud Class Champion (turbo-charged 240sx)

(Executive Director - RACE DRIVERS' GUILD of CANADA - )

Comment

ohhh

khey

what are you smoking

and

where can i get it?

Comment

Originally posted by thgear
        ohhh

khey

what are you smoking

and

where can i get it?
        I think he's smoking RA-1's... So should you - they seem like the perfect fit. A super-glorified street tire that can take abuse and still perform like a champ - just like a condom

Comment

Serge, start off with som Ra-1's...then go from there....

Personally i will be using the Ra1's as rain tires, and running hoosier rs04's as my main tires

as big as i can fit them......
          Former CCC member, and shit disturber

winner of a bunch of different classes over many years

breaker of parts, burner of engines

CREATOR OF "ULTIMATE DOOM 570SX"

Comment

no i know that RA1's are probably good for me

but considering the tire raffels and all , maybe some yoko's wont be just as good (if they sponsor us again this year)

if i woulda known that there is a yokohama raffle last year, i woulda been on yoke's for sure!

Comment

Well, as far as alternative r-compounds go, does anyone have experience or information on the Nitto NT01?

From what I'm reading it shares similar characteristics and possibly compound traits with the Toyo RA-1 (Toyo being the parent company), but it looks like it has larger/less tread blocks for better dry performance.
              Erik Z.
              1987 Porsche 944 Turbo (SoloSprint #944 GT1)
              1998 BMW 328is

Comment

A Mustang magazine did a recent test on the NT-01 vs. the RA-1

97 Cobra (brake upgrade, control arms, springs, struts, CC plates)
                NT01 - 1:20.59 / 1:20.38 / 1:20.29
                RA-1 - 1:21.27 / 1:22.12 / 1:21.45

99 GT (brake upgrade, springs, struts)
                NT01 - 1:22.65 / 1:21.98 / 1:22.71
                RA-1 - 1:23.86 / 1:24.48 / 1:24.14

It doesn't look like their driver was terribly consistent. Both tire sizes were 275/35-18 on 18x9.5 wheels.

The NT01 is a dry-only tire and they noted that it comes with a 6/32nds tread depth and it was gone after 20laps.

The NT01 doesn't sound too great...it wears fast, and while it's quite a bit faster than an unshaved Toyo, once the Toyo gets worn down it would be a lot closer.
                Andy
                Mobil 1 Time Attack - #96

Comment

I'd say go for the RA1s. They're so dependable, you can never go wrong with them. I treated my RA1s VERY poorly last season and they still have lots of life left in them after several events and lapping days.

Comment

So if Yokahama sponsers and you don't use thier tires.......will they still sponser ?? Don't they have some good tires for Solo 1 ??

I'm asking because this will be my first season in Solo 1 and I would like to know why use other tires if you are sponsered by someone else ???

Silver Fox

Comment

Originally posted by Silver Fox
                      So if Yokahama sponsers and you don't use thier tires.......will they still sponser ?? Don't they have some good tires for Solo 1 ??

I'm asking because this will be my first season in Solo 1 and I would like to know why use other tires if you are sponsered by someone else ???

Silver Fox
                      The Yoko tires are a great entry level tire, and do just fine for Solo 1, but are simply not competitive with the other tires out there. Hopefully Yokohama will step up to the plate and offer a true R-compound race tire for Solo 1, but until then, most people will go for another brand due to the speed difference. However, the Yokos are MUCH better than any street tire will be, and they will probably last the full season, and then some.
                      Arek Wojciechowski
                      8legs Racing, SPC #77
                      http://www.8legsRacing.com

Comment

Working...
                      X