Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

how high is my wheel off the ground at turn 1?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how high is my wheel off the ground at turn 1?

for those of you who have observed my car last year,

do you think my rear inside wheel lifts MORE or LESS off the ground?

since obviously i cannot observe the phenomena by myself

i'm trying to figure out if my car rolls less this year than before... i wonder if people have pictures of me while in a turn...
    set tire pressures to winning!

Re: how high is my wheel off the ground at turn 1?

Hi Serge:
    Chrispy and I were following you during the lunch time lapping - he was driving my RX-7 - and we noticed a considerable amount of air under your inside rear wheel at Turn 5. However, it did not appear excessive and the cornering speed looked pretty good to me. However, compared to last year? Dunno
    Cheers, Gerry
    Rotary Nut

Comment

Originally posted by thgear
      for those of you who have observed my car last year,

do you think my rear inside wheel lifts MORE or LESS off the ground?

since obviously i cannot observe the phenomena by myself

i'm trying to figure out if my car rolls less this year than before... i wonder if people have pictures of me while in a turn...
      The amount that your car is leaning is not the only contributing factor to wheel lift. Since you are running a stiffer setup than last year, there will be more rear roll stiffness, less "independance" of the rear suspension, and possibly more rear wheel lift, with less body roll.

In fact, when in line at the last Solo 2 (it was more of a grassy knoll than a grid), the car in front of me lifted one of its rear tires while staying flat. The ground was lower on one side of the car than the other, and there was so much rear roll stiffness the tire hung in the air. I wish I had a camera with me.

All that being said, lifting the inside rear tire is not a bad thing.
      Pete Mills
      Cheap, fast, reliable. Choose 2.

Comment

Maybe someone has a picture, but you had at least 4 inches of air under your RR in turn #2. The rear obviously had less droop travel than the front, because it seemed like you were in a state of "squat" through the whole corner, with the RR in the air nonetheless.

Lets just say it looked weird. Haven't seen those kind of suspension characteristics in Solo 2 before.
        sigpic

Stephen, SPDA VP, OTA Director, CCC Member
        OTA: SGT1 ! -=- CSCS: SSA #842

Comment

It's actually pretty common in Solo 1 and not just Serge's Golf. The Civics also "lift their hind leg" albeit not as much as the Golf.
          CarGuy - Subaru BRZ #57
          sigpic
          Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting. Steve McQueen

Comment

Originally posted by Carguy
            It's actually pretty common in Solo 1 and not just Serge's Golf. The Civics also "lift their hind leg" albeit not as much as the Golf.
            Lifting their leg I'm very used to... STi's do it as well. But lifting the leg with the rear several inches lower than the front... that looked weird. Like the wrong springs or bump stops were on it.
            sigpic

Stephen, SPDA VP, OTA Director, CCC Member
            OTA: SGT1 ! -=- CSCS: SSA #842

Comment

well actualy my cars height measured from the bottom is identical front and rear, but because the actual fender lines at the front are higher than the rear, it ends up looking weird, but if you look at the bottom, you will see the car is actualy perfectly flat.
              set tire pressures to winning!

Comment

Working...
              X