Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gutting doors + pip question.

removal of the interior panels costs pips

but how about gutting the doors further, cuttong out metal components on the INSIDE? is that still part of the "interior" pips or does it now count towards the exterior?
    set tire pressures to winning!

Re: gutting doors + pip question.

Originally posted by thgear
    removal of the interior panels costs pips

but how about gutting the doors further, cuttong out metal components on the INSIDE? is that still part of the "interior" pips or does it now count towards the exterior?
    Just the interior PIPs. The exterior pips are for actual panels, so if you were to replace the doors with fiber glass or something. Are you planning on doing this? Slippery slope, my friend
    Arek Wojciechowski
    8legs Racing, SPC #77
    http://www.8legsRacing.com

Comment

i might live in the city as opposed to middle of nowhere next year, as such i wont really need a car

i figure my suspension is already maxed out to how i want it, and i like the factory reliability of my engine, so the only way to increase perfromance is weight reduction!

figure why not maximize... since i dont need a roll cage unless i'm 4 bpips or +4 classess... i think i can have a very light and very fast T2 car next year

hell... with my tinted windows, if i keep it below 120 on the highway i might not even get pulled over and just drive it to the track!

Comment

Usually, the bracing in the doors forms part of the structural intergrity of the car and by removing that, you'd possibly introduce more body flex, not to mention if someone T-bones you when you're on the way to the track.
        Ray

Comment

i dont think the doors themselves account for a significant portion of the structural integrity

plus no car is thin enough to ram me strait through a door, the B pillar and shock mount will take on most of the impact.

but then again... i'm no engineer.

Comment

Originally posted by thgear
            plus no car is thin enough to ram me strait through a door, the B pillar and shock mount will take on most of the impact.
            Not if he hits you at an angle.

Comment

Yeah, the way you're going with this, a roll bar would really be a good idea. Gut the interior, add a roll bar (not full cage), get a race seat, a nice 6-point harness, and you're good to go!

What do you mean you're maxed out with the suspension? If you stiffen the roll up, you can reduce the ride height quite a bit. Add an LSD to eliminate the wheel spin ... there is plenty to do
              Arek Wojciechowski
              8legs Racing, SPC #77
              http://www.8legsRacing.com

Comment

well, how often does a car get T-boned at an angle from the drivers side? ehh?

because if its from the passanger the bracing on both ends will still stop the car before it can get to me....

bsides... i probably wont drive it to the track because i'm just too afraid of that 5000 ticket, plus god knows what else... but i'm just thinking outloud.

also i'm sure driving for 1-2 hours in a tin can isnt the most comfortable thing

===============================

dude... i dont have enough power for LSD , power... now THATS a slippery slope.

Comment

Serge,
                  Your Golf still leans to much,
                  You should get much stiffer springs and dampers.
                  Just call me "G"
                  2000 Honda Insight
                  2005 Mazda Miata

Comment

just because a car rolls alot doesnt mean its not gripping the road G

plus there are other things that could be done before needing stiffer springs.

1. improved dynamic camber, i was planning on isntalling a set of spindles from an audi TT, but could not locate a set before the season started (plus i have no room to wiggle anyway)

2. less weight, less weight will lead to less roll, which negates a need for super stiff springs

the stiffer the spring the less grip the tire offers, thats how i always learned it, keep in mind this car is not being built for auto-cross where transitional response is important.

woudl you agree that a stock miata handles better than lets say a VR6 golf?, WHEEL RATES (or road rates) are probably the same, both cars feel just as comfortable on the street, but because the miata is lighter, and has a better camber curve, and weight distribution, it can make better use of any given tires grip than the golf.

side note: i agree with adam, i believe our classifications system does not factor in weight as much as it should.

Comment

The only good T-Bone is one that im not involved in or goes well with HP sssouce.
                      Benjamin Freeling

'98 ITR ('05 season)
                      GT2 SOLO 1

New Car for 2010:
                      '92 Civic DX #187
                      GT4-S

Comment

Acuras and other models have cross beams through the doors that brace on reinforced areas of the A and B pillars to reduce the severity of side impacts. I would assume that this also helps with some chassis rigidity.

If your legs and your passenger's life isn't important... Sure. Gut it.
                        sigpic

Stephen, SPDA VP, OTA Director, CCC Member
                        OTA: SGT1 ! -=- CSCS: SSA #842

Comment

Working...
                        X