Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Why no spec tire?

Originally posted by Chris91GT
    I was guaranteed 2 sets of non-ubers strictly due to wear.
    Originally posted by CobraStang
    Same here. That's why the cost savings aspect of PIPing modern tires doesn't work for me, either.
    Did you guys ever use Toyo's?

If so, your cars must be way harder on tires than my car. The (2) Toyo's I'm currently running, which have ~40% life left in them, have 10 events and 2 lapping days on them.

Note: Counting each event/lapping day raced by me as one event, and each event/lapping day raced by Todd as one event. They've been flipped once, and were run on the back for 6 events, and on the front for 4 events and Mustangs at Mosport.
    Andy
    Mobil 1 Time Attack - #96

Comment

Originally posted by G-ForceJunkie
      Did you guys ever use Toyo's?

If so, your cars must be way harder on tires than my car. The (2) Toyo's I'm currently running, which have ~40% life left in them, have 10 events and 2 lapping days on them.

Note: Counting each event/lapping day raced by me as one event, and each event/lapping day raced by Todd as one event. They've been flipped once, and were run on the back for 6 events, and on the front for 4 events and Mustangs at Mosport.
      Except... the first 50% of the tread life is totally uncompetitive. A fresh Toyo is a rain tire. I doubt that many cars can run a season on properly shaved Toyos.
      Chris Atkins
      Member of the Road Course Mustang Brotherhood (1/2/2007)

06 Mustang GT (SGT3)
      07 Mazdaspeed3

(FOR SALE)
      91 Mustang GT SGT2

Gone to oil country!

Comment

i'm running on 2005 shaved toyo's

i'll let you all know how that goes
        set tire pressures to winning!

Comment

Dave... I guess by this logic, since Hanif was only .1s slower at Nelson on less-than-ideal Toyos then the Toyos must be faster. PIP the Toyos!!!

And I simply cannot figure out where all this budget nonsense comes from. I'd love to kick whoever started this theme. I have never seen such beautiful wear since I switched to uber tires. Before uber tires I was guaranteed 2 sets of non-ubers strictly due to wear. Now I can get away with two sets of uber for LESS cash than non-ubers (group buys, etc), can still get away with two sets, and they still have RUBBER left to run lapping days on (where no one cars if they are 1s slower from heat cycling).

This season will not reveal any new data... because almost everyone is running them now. Not to mention we're on different tracks.

I've been avoiding this thread like the plague since we beat this to death (or, evidently, not quite far enough) last year. The only reason that this has become an issue is that tire tech has moved along.

We can start piping new tires, or just accept that technology moves ahead sooner or later. Once we accept this there will no longer be an issue, and people can start leaving some cash in their wallets instead of buying overpriced ancient tires.
          Chris, there is another somewhat obvious assumption as to the fact that you only beat Hanif by 0.1 sec, despite your uber tires run on a car that really can't take advantage of them fully

I would also like to think that I was such a superior driver that I propositioned Avi in event 1 solely on the basis of my driving skills and not my tires ( but even MY overblown ego can't pretend that one) It is not suprising that Avi has ordered Hoosiers.

Seriously Chris, I am suprised that you don't find the uber tires more expensive. I would think there are not many who would agree with you.

I also disagree that "almost everyone is running them". I think almost all class winners are running them (at least in the faster classes) and most propositioning has been done by uber tired cars. (Jason A as a major exception) but in actual fact, Chris, uber tired cars represent a minority of the cars that run.

My question is, are all the guys not running them stupid or do they have other reasons to not buy them i.e lack of money? I doubt they are all stupid which leads me to conclude money is the issue and I am all for making this series more affordable. There really seems little doubt that "ubers" are faster, how much faster can be up for debate, but they are faster.
          Last edited by Dave Barker; 07-09-2006, 06:42 PM.
          Mobil 1 Time-Attack # 4, CCC Member

Comment

I would like to hazard a very rough guess that we have perhaps 1/3 would are diehard going-for-the-win competitors, 1/3 who are casual competitors who enjoy the thrill and are satisified with using full-tread Toyos, and 1/3 who are rookies/occasionals who are not ready to commit to serious rubber.

I haven't spent enough time checking, but I suspect that the first 1/3 is heavily weighted in uber tires. I also suspect that this 1/3 would buy uber-anything if it meant being competitive.

And yes, Dave... you're correct... I only beat Hanif by 0.1s because I'm only using 1/2 of the front tires.

But honestly, my Hoosiers cost me less than the V710s I ran last year, which were only slightly more expensive than Victoracers.
            Chris Atkins
            Member of the Road Course Mustang Brotherhood (1/2/2007)

06 Mustang GT (SGT3)
            07 Mazdaspeed3

(FOR SALE)
            91 Mustang GT SGT2

Gone to oil country!

Comment

And yes, Dave... you're correct... I only beat Hanif by 0.1s because I'm only using 1/2 of the front tires.
              now you know how i feel
              set tire pressures to winning!

Comment

Working...
              X