Solo Ontario questionable this year

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Solo Ontario questionable this year

Well, I am having a lot of trouble just keeping bottled up what has been going on with my car the last few years. ARE has had my car 7 months now and it still isn't ready for me... I'm right in the thick of racing season, with no car. That's four years in a row I've missed getting any seat time because the car was down.

Can't order tires, can't even bring myself to get involved, it's a struggle just to get the energy to get my licensing for racing at this point. I guess I must be depressed.

So I'm just letting people who need to know that things are now iffy with me for attendance of events this spring/summer (and hell, maybe my continued desire to do anything f-body related at this point). I don't have the car, ARE hasn't answered the phone for the better part of a week and I have no idea where I stand with regards to getting my car going again - I've ordered no racing tires, because I have no idea what kind of shape my car is going to be in when I get it back. So anyone planning anything that hinges on my attendance, don't - with the exception of the teaching events that I have committed to.

Maybe I'll tell the whole story some day, maybe not. I guess that hinges on ARE at this point.

Really sorry to hear that, i enjoyed listening and taking rides with you. Anyway, remember that tire rack is 3 days delivery and there's still 3 weeks left....

Anyway, i hope you get everything striaghtened out....

Time to buy a Honda
    ------------------------------------------------

Comment

Thought of doing that just for the competition but the lack of power and speed (and RWD) make it uninteresting to me right on through to the NSX. Nothing personal, they just don't have what it takes to blow my hair back.

Comment

Pssst, 350Z
        Shift_Happens

Comment

Another one that doesn't turn me on too much. Too much hype, too little real performance.

I think it'd have to be a C5 at least. Or maybe a modified RX7.

Comment

Steve,

I know exactly where your headspace is at. I was there myself last year. Couldn't even get enough excitement to change the oil in the car, never mind loading it up with all the tires and tools and driving it out to the track.

It really bummed me out and I couldn't understand why I was feeling that way especially since the previous 3 years of being involved in Solo have been the most fun I have ever had. I was quite worried about my lack of enthusiasm. Whenever, someone asked me why I wasn't participating my stock answer was "I don't know" which was the truth. I had no idea why. If I could have laid blame on something like lack of funds or too much work or something concrete like that I would have felt much better about it. But I couldn't. I just couldn't get into it and that was that.

And then, this past January, as if somebody flicked the light switch on, I got the desire back. I am not as gung ho as I used to be but I realized just how much I missed tracking the car, spending the weekend outdoors, out of the city and hanging out with friends.

I'm not planning an all out assault on my class like I did in years past. I don't care how well I do (down deep inside I know that's a lie) and I'm not planning on particiapting in all the events but I do plan on coming out to the majority of them and I plan on having a ton of fun.

Of course, I reserve the right to change my mind on all of this and fall back into a dark depressing slump.

Anyway, the moral of the story is that sometimes your mind needs a break. Don't put pressure on yourself. Give it time and I am sure that without you planning it you will rediscover the joy that you used to feel when you were on the track.
            \\ Caius
            Simona:
            Racing:
            Photography:

Comment

man, i sure hope that doesn't happen to me. 9 years now and still going strong..........
              ------------------------------------------------

Comment

You're still too young and carefree Krispy. Wait until you have a career and all the stress and pressures that are associated with it, a mortgage, parents who are getting on in their years and need attention, bills upon bills, a wife, kids, etc. Motorsports will fall somewhat down in the priority list.

It's not a bad thing though, 'cause I think life should all be about balance.
                \\ Caius
                Simona:
                Racing:
                Photography:

Comment

It's a lot of work, commitment, time and money. That's why it is hard to get involved sometimes.

That's not it for me right now though. I just want to enjoy what I've paid for, and really the only time I've been able to do that is from July - Sept. 2000. That's the only time the car was working reasonably. The One Lap event was a writeoff in a lot of ways, and 2001-2002 it was impossible to compete.

Enough feeling sorry for myself, things are looking up a bit. A little heart to heart gets things solved and if they come good for it, I should have my car next week.

Now I just have to work up the energy to get licensed and the get wheels properly shod. I doubt I can be competitive all the same, and probably won't even get in the waiting list for the first events.

Comment

Shaman, we've never met, but I know alittle about you from the threads I have read here. I'm sorry to hear about your car problems and I think I know how you feel about missing the season of Solo I. I was going to start this year, got myself a car I could have fun with and modify as I went but a truck and a concrete wall finished that idea for this year !

The truck blew a tire on the highway I was on and the truck hit my passanger side and sent me into the concrete highway divider at about 120 kph.

My MR2 is a write-off, I have a sprained back some bruised ribs and a head that feels like a football.

It'll be three months before I can drive again, so I hope to see you guys at the track next year !!

Steve
                    (Silver Fox)

Comment

Sorry to hear that. Bad luck is going around for a lot of people this year!

The important thing is that *you* are OK.
                      Last edited by Shaman; 04-22-2003, 08:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ctenche
                        Steve,

I know exactly where your headspace is at. I was there myself last year. Couldn't even get enough excitement to change the oil in the car, never mind loading it up with all the tires and tools and driving it out to the track.

Anyway, the moral of the story is that sometimes your mind needs a break. Don't put pressure on yourself. Give it time and I am sure that without you planning it you will rediscover the joy that you used to feel when you were on the track.
                        Cauis,

Funny you should mention that. It's the exact place I'm at right now. Tons of outside pressures, and I look in my garage, and just wonder why I have a fully prepared car (which is really no longer street driveable) that I only use 20 days of the year? This is probably the biggest underlying reason why I'm looking to sell the car....I've just lost all motivation for participating in track events this year. I'd rather get back to driving something that I can enjoy on the street, and still make it around the track somewhat successfully.

I can also understand where Steve's coming from as well. With a highly prepared car, you're often stuck waiting for someone else to finish up work so you can enjoy your own car....it's frustrating. My car is ready to roll now, so that's not an issue at the moment, but the finances, lousy weather etc, etc have all contributed to a 'why bother' feeling.

Maybe the first track day will change all that, I don't know.....

Anyhow, enough of my own wallowing for the moment.....

Pat
                        From behind the wheel of a racecar, my life makes perfect sense.

Comment

Caius, I know what your problem is/was. We are probably going to see a lot of key people in that same situation in the next liitle bit. Why? Well it's the same few people who do a majority of all the work involved in organizing clubs, different series and some of these people are burning out and getting frustrated at being responsible for everything.

People like Christian, Dave Pratte, Perry, Rob and you (Among a lot of others) spend a lot of your personal time involved in the sport and that does sometimes take a toll on personal life and relationships.

I love this sport. I will hopefully continue participating and helping with the running of clubs and series events, but at the same time, with all the external pressures of life, something has to give eventually and hobbies usually end up being the giver.

You spent a number of years with club and series organization and when you, the professor, stepped down from some of those duties, the motivaztion dropped as well, I'm sure.

So, if there are people out there that would like to get more involved in the organization of our sport, step up and volenteer, before all of our existing "leaders" burn out and leave the scene.

Comment

Well put Wes!

Comment

well put alexb
                              Helping unlock the potential of divine velocity since 2004.

Deeper, Harder, Faster, Motorsports Inc.

“Good intentions are not an excuse for maladministration of this magnitude,” Gomery writes.

Proponent of the "Freedom of Solo 2 Information Act"

"I'm an excellent driver... Yeah... Definitely... Yeah"

Comment

Working...
                              X