Volunteers wanted for Drift Exhibition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Volunteers wanted for Drift Exhibition

Hey guys, we are looking for 15 volunteers to help out with the technical aspects of our event on September 20 and 21 2003. We need people to help with the track layout, safety etc...

We are specifically looking for people actively involved in SOLO or autocross that have some experience in event organization, safety and so on.

We have instructors from Drift Association LLC coming up from Cali and they will be assisting you during the event.

please e-mail me at :

alberto@driftnation.com

if you are interested or have any questions. Of course all volunteers will recieve special perks such as free guest passes etc...

Thanks guys!

Alberto

Re: Volunteers wanted for Drift Exhibition

Originally posted by DriftNation
    Hey guys, we are looking for 15 volunteers to help out with the technical aspects of our event on September 20 and 21 2003. We need people to help with the track layout, safety etc...

We are specifically looking for people actively involved in SOLO or autocross that have some experience in event organization, safety and so on.

We have instructors from Drift Association LLC coming up from Cali and they will be assisting you during the event.

please e-mail me at :

alberto@driftnation.com

if you are interested or have any questions. Of course all volunteers will recieve special perks such as free guest passes etc...

Thanks guys!

Alberto

...so other than marketing hype... what is it that the people in your organization DO???

Helping unlock the potential of divine velocity since 2004.

Deeper, Harder, Faster, Motorsports Inc.

“Good intentions are not an excuse for maladministration of this magnitude,” Gomery writes.

Proponent of the "Freedom of Solo 2 Information Act"

"I'm an excellent driver... Yeah... Definitely... Yeah"

Comment

What is it that we do? We started this organization because we love drifting. I have had a passion for it for many years and decided it was time to help it grow in Canada.

If you want something to succeed you need to market it. This September event is a kick start to showing the public what professional drifting is about. It will give local driver the opportunity to recieve professional training and get them excited about the sport!

We also have smaller local training events. As time goes by more and more events will be scheduled in order to help out the grass groots part of the sport.

So basically we are doing 2 things, grassroots drifting and local driving, and promoting larger exhibition events.

If there was no professional racing taking place I doubt the interest in grassroots racing would be as strong. You have to aim for something, and watching professionals drive is what gives us all motivation

Comment

Originally posted by DriftNation
        What is it that we do? We started this organization because we love drifting. I have had a passion for it for many years and decided it was time to help it grow in Canada.

If you want something to succeed you need to market it. This September event is a kick start to showing the public what professional drifting is about. It will give local driver the opportunity to recieve professional training and get them excited about the sport!

We also have smaller local training events. As time goes by more and more events will be scheduled in order to help out the grass groots part of the sport.

So basically we are doing 2 things, grassroots drifting and local driving, and promoting larger exhibition events.

If there was no professional racing taking place I doubt the interest in grassroots racing would be as strong. You have to aim for something, and watching professionals drive is what gives us all motivation
        ...fair enough... noble enough cause... BUT... if you're lacking... and asking for volunteers and looking "... for people actively involved in SOLO or autocross that have some experience in event organization, safety and so on."

...I'd classify you guys as more of a bunch of drift enthusiasts with some enthusiasm for your sport and a vision... You are NOT an organized form of motorsport. FAR FROM IT!

Frankly... it scares me at how poorly organized this SEEMS to be at this late stage in the game. You admittedly don't know what it takes to organize an event of this scale... and I hope that as a result... Remember the #1 priority of running / organizing an event of this nature. I also hope that you've got all of your insurance I's and T's dotted and crossed respectively, for your own sake.

As a solo enthusiast, participant AND organizer... I am not going to touch this... it just doesn't seem to be "there" yet from an organizational point of view.

It ain't just gettin' a lot and goin' sideways in it... theres a LOT more to it than that!!!

Helping unlock the potential of divine velocity since 2004.

Deeper, Harder, Faster, Motorsports Inc.

“Good intentions are not an excuse for maladministration of this magnitude,” Gomery writes.

Proponent of the "Freedom of Solo 2 Information Act"

"I'm an excellent driver... Yeah... Definitely... Yeah"

Comment

Alberto,

The best thing for you to do would be to come out to a Solo-2 and hang around with the organizers all day. Then you could actually discuss what you should and shouldn't be doing at your events and be able to ask good questions.

Like MiataBoi said, it's good that your here asking for help, it's BAD that you've waited this late, but there is still time. PITL has an event on Sept. 6th, the Pro on Sept. 1st, CCC has an event Sept. 7th as well as the regional in Peterborough the same day. Lastly WOSCA has our charity evnt Sept. 14th.

I can't speak for the other clubs, but I would welcome you to come out to the WOSCA event and show you what we do to prepare.
          Marshall McLean
          95 Mazda Miata
          sigpic

Comment

There is nothing poorly organized about our event. The reason we are looking for solo experienced people is because they would understand the instruction given to them regarding the techinical aspect of the event better than others might be.

As more and more people come out to the drift events a more secure core staff will be developed. We are a new organization and I am just seeing if there is any interest in the Solo community to be part of drifting.

You will be very surprised to see how organized the event will be. Safety will be above and beyond what is expected. We don't need anyone to organize anything. That is well taken care of already. We are just looking for some extra help. We already have a core staff.

Some Solo people have responded and we look foreward to having them help out! We really appreciate it.

I can't explain everything we have done to organize this event. You will be very surprised how well it will go and how this form of motorsport will take off in Canada, just as it has in the United States.

Iwill try and make it out to the Solo events. I have been meaning to but have been so busy with our event.

thanks

Anyways, hope to here from more of you showing interest to help.

Comment

hey guys...why not show a bit of support to this new motorsport....

if i was not at a solo 1 event #11/#12 that weekend i would be more than happy to help you out...

they have some very good drivers coming out to show what drifting is all about..
              Former CCC member, and shit disturber

winner of a bunch of different classes over many years

breaker of parts, burner of engines

CREATOR OF "ULTIMATE DOOM 570SX"

Comment

Having met with Alberto a few weeks ago, I'm confident they'll run a very professional event.

Alberto, I think it might help avoid incorrect interpretations of your call for volunteers if you gave people here a bit more information about your background, the fact that you've been to and trained at drifting competitions in the States and know how to organize this sort of event, have developed close contacts with the drifting organization in the U.S., etc.

Like Adam, I'd love to come out to your event and lend a hand, but unfortunately I'll be at the final Solo 1 weekend of the year at that time. But I will spread the word within HADA and hopefully a few of our guys will be interested in helping.

Cheers,
                Dave
                Last edited by Dave; 08-18-2003, 11:13 PM.
                The bearded weirdo from Speed Academy

Comment

Take the blinders off miataboi,if you don't get it don't don't go!

It really is that simple,I for one don't really get either-but I'm registering for the event on sunday to support another form of grassroots motorsports.
                  Sliding around DOES take more ability than just driving around-hate to keep bring up ice raceing but the best drivers are the ones that can maintain control during all points of the course from slowing,turn-in,turn-out and acceleration-and don't forget that you are usually battling for position and in my case dodging traffic that your lapping.

My car with the open diff isn't going to be the best weapon there,but I intend to have some fun and thats why I built the car in the first place.

Comment

I thought you built it to make noise :P
                    Shift_Happens

Comment

I wish you guys a good event. I'm not sure why people are hating on your form of motorsport so much. Unfortuntely i will be at the SOLO 1 event defending 1st place otherwise i would offer my time.
                      ------------------------------------------------

Comment

Just to be clear, all we need are volunteers that will be marsheling, helping with controlling traffic and fixing downed pylons.

The Drift Association LLC and DriftNation will be the ones handling all the more important aspects of the drift day.

Drift Association members run in SCCA events, Solo and so on. We are in a working relationship with them and have been to California to undergo drift training etc..

Just wanted to clarify that. My first post does not give enough information regarding what we are looking for.

Thanks again to those who will be helping us out.

Comment

Ha Ha Pat,remember last years exhaust?it wouldn't even have registered on the meter,not that there was one

That was my first year at the regional level and didn't want to stir the pot so to speak-but this year,now thats a different story ya know.At least this year I can hear the damn thing with my helmet on!!helps when I'm hunting for that one wheel exit grip

Comment

Working...
                          X