No announcement yet.

Solo 1 for next year poll

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i'm new & hopfuly will be back next year.

From a newbie perspective, organizing needs a lot of improvement.
    I went to 1 event each Solo1 & Solo2, the were held by two different clubs but waste of time was in Both. which did come from
    track or course time. I personally think all track time should be timed, but only certain laps should be counted for points.
    And probably most important we can not mix Fast & Slow Guys.
    so maybe we need some kind of qualifying, or use previous sessions as one And who did not participate will have to qualify or start from back. registration should be faster too, most are repeated comers so introduce a bonus for a mail in or a extra fee for a track registration, excluding all first timers this way we will have either better $$$ or faster start & keep new ones from over paying.
    This is just a suggestion.
    now how I felt myself: it was very intimidating and if not for a help from a fellow racer I would probably never come back.
    there mast be established routine how all new guys should get on a track, same way as all should do marshaling.
    this is just a few things, there were allot more confusing things but in all it could not overweight the fun I had at the track.
    Looking forward for next season, hopefully will have more track time and it will run allot smother.

PS. just want to say THANK YOU! very much To MALCOLM.

Comment

great point, Dobe TT. I think it would really help ease the intimidation factor for newcomers if we had some sort of mentoring program where we match novices up with veterans where they marshall together, the veteran can act as a sort of driving coach and general advice giver in terms of how the events of the day are run, introduce their newcomer to people so that he/she has other people to chat with, etc. We have plenty of friendly veterans who I'm sure would be happy to do this sort of thing if they thought there was a need for it. I think once you've been doing the series for a few years and you know everyone it's easy to forget how intimidating it really is to come out to your first Solo 1 event and compete against a bunch of strangers.
      The bearded weirdo from Speed Academy

Comment

Actually Dave Calabogie is not out of the way at all if you live in Ottawa. :-) Things are progressing with the track and reports are that construction has started, but they don't have all their permits yet. Hopefully it will happen though, and seems to have quite a bit of support from local businesses, if not all of the residents.

As regards lapping or competition, everyone wants as much of both as possible. I would just point out that I could already do as many lapping events a week as I can afford, but Solo 1 is the only place that provides competition. I would be against anything that reduces the competition or number of timed laps in favour of lapping. Just my opinion.
        Brad Merkel
        #68 Corvette C5 Coupe
        BMW Z3 M Roadster
        BMW M3 Coupe

Comment

Not that I've competed in any Solo 1 events yet but I might next year if I can afford it and this is what I would like to see:
          - less open lapping
          - morning warmup & last minute tweaking
          - more timed laps
          - not marshalling
          - score at least 3 sets maybe 5 sets of 3 laps (1 warmup 1 hot and 1 cooldown)

It's been mentioned .. there are a lot of lapping days. Use those to get track time. Then use Solo 1 events to focus on the competitive aspect and putting together a perfect lap.

Comment

I placed my vote in option 2. I would like more lapping time SOMETIME during the weekend, whether it's in the morning, or a Friday day/evening lapping session.

Part of my reasoning is because during competition we have so little time to work on the cars that tweaking the setup is very difficult. We rarely have enough time to fill up on fuel while trying not to be late for marshalling that it's basically "run what ya brung" in terms of setup most days.

With that said, I would prefer a Friday evening session at EVERY event, thus eliminating the need for extra lapping during the actual events... because... I would love longer timed sessions as well. 3 laps is just enough to get the car warmed up and settled... and then it's checker time.

In lieu of lapping evenings on Friday night, I really think we should be considering hiring marshalls (we only need a handful, not 2-3 per station) for the events. This would give competitors back the time needed to successfully test and tune the setup between rounds. At the very least we should do a pilot event to see how much time we can save and gauge the reaction of the competitors.

Will the increased track time from paid marshalling draw sufficient new competitors to offset the costs of hiring these marshalls? I don't know. Perhaps someone can speak to these costs.
            Chris Atkins
            Member of the Road Course Mustang Brotherhood (1/2/2007)

06 Mustang GT (SGT3)
            07 Mazdaspeed3

(FOR SALE)
            91 Mustang GT SGT2

Gone to oil country!

Comment

Folks, there are 418 people registered to this board and over 120 people who have run Solo 1 this year and only 32 have voted on this poll. C'mon if you don't vote you can't complain about what happens. ( It is also a bit simpler than deciding between the up coming election between Tweedle Dee ,Tweedle Dum and Satan Incarnate)

Few other comments:

Paid Marshalls will increase the cost significantly and already we have a lot of people complaining Solo 1 is too expensive. Also what do you do for the Clerks, Timers, Grid Marshalls and Starters? Pay them too??

I, too, would like to run maybe at least 1 more lap per run but the problem becomes clerking. The difference in speed between the fastest and slowest driver in any group you put out on the track at any one time, will often allow the fastest to catch the slowest within the time for the warmup and 3 hot laps. Certainly with Victors ability to print time sheets on the fly we are able to grid drivers much more accurately this year but if we have to start throwing more yellow flags everything just screws up and takes longer.

What does work, and worked quite well this past wkend at Pro is that with 70 competitors and a different type of run order with 3 run groups, you end up marshalling 1/3 of the time and have lots of other time to make adjustments to the car, rest, bench race etc.. Also there is much less time wasted in Marshall changes because there are fewer of them . In other words if we consistantly have more than 50 competitors things actually work better, not worse. On Sunday we got through registering 22 walk'ins, more practice lapping than usual , 3 runs for 70 drivers and had a full hour of lapping time at the end of the day ( which I might add for all you people who want more lapping, was only somewhat well attended)
              Mobil 1 Time-Attack # 4, CCC Member

Comment

this was my first year at solo 1 and had a great time and yes i'll be back i've learned a lot and was forced to push myself and my car to the limit i broke i rebuild and kept coming chased dave around all year do i want more lapping no the competition is why i keep coming out i will make my car more realiable that my mean moving up a class or 2 so i'll have to chase jeff and rob instead of dave
                see ya later :
                86 GLHS #315
                05 SRT4 S3 #166
                Sponcered by Fast Trac /ftrac.org

Comment

actually Steve, I'm planning to run in GT2 next year Bring that monster Omni of yours...BRING IT! Hehe...actually, I hope you get a SRT-4, those things have tons of potential and it would be very cool to see one running with us next year.

You coming to the banquet? Hope to see you there!

Cheers,
                  Dave
                  The bearded weirdo from Speed Academy

Comment

Only 8 people who do not run Solo 1 have voted as if they plan to come and "run with the big guys" depending on what happens for next year,( really Jeff Graves has lost a lot of wgt since last time I took him around Mosport so there is no need for more BIG GUY comments). Really ,you Solo 2 guys, it is not that intimidating and considering how many keen and happy novices we have this year, you might want to try it.
                    Mobil 1 Time-Attack # 4, CCC Member

Comment

It's probably not the intimidation factor .. but it could be the price. And the fact that they may not know who they'll be fighting against in each class. (But that's probably posted in the results)

Personally, I think I need to hit some lapping days at the various tracks next year to learn the tracks and get a feeling for how my car works on them before even bothering to come out for Solo 1 competition. Maybe in 2005 ...

Comment

With our solo 2 roots Rooo we should be comfortable quickly on tracks that we haven't been on before!(I said comfortable,maybe not fast1)I only did the one solo1 this summer Rooo but the fact that I hadn't seen shannonville on about 10 years didn't matter-had a blast (when driving,not when standing in the rain for hours marshelling)you should come out next year anyway.I'm prepping my car for solo1 rules as those aren't going to change anytime soon and say the hell with solo2 rules for now(my car is in mod anyway!).

Comment

There were ten class wins by novices this year, and three of the top ten drivers overall were novices. I managed a class win, and I have never been on a track before this year!

So I say, don't be a girly-man! Swap those flabby weakling street tires for R-comp's!

I'll be back!

Comment

Although I haven't actually participated in a SOLO1 event this year, I did attend a couple of them. I like the format. So long as things run smoothly and on time (always a challenge) it's a lot of fun.
                            - Philip Agnoletto
                            '08 Nissan Rogue SL

Comment

Working...
                            X