Purchasing a track only car?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Big Bridge Porting

*Adds larger second intake port at rotor. Very poor low-end response, marginal midrange, power is 7500 RPM and up. Not recommended for street driving. Removes water inner "O"-Ring at intake port area. Includes all intake and exhaust ports. Does not include price of housings. Done on new rotor housings only, supplied by MAZDATRIX. Requires carbon apex seals.
    Ok, that's directly from your link to Mazdatrix, talking about porting N/A engines. You can do lots of different types of porting with an N/A... Street port and bridge port (with lots of variations of bridge porting), and of course, the peri port.

Here's a good link for port info:

http://www.autospeed.com/cms/article.html?&A=0389&P=1

Comment

13B 6 Port - Released around '86, the Series 4 RX7 6 Port engine made 160hp and used an extra set of staged ports to aid breathing. Triggered by exhaust backpressure, a rotary sleeve opens the secondary ports up to allow more gas to pass. This system served to deliver good bottom end torque combined with top end power. However, there isn't much more that can be done to these port designs to gain more power.
      And this came from your link.
      Even Senna confessed he occasionally went too far, as was the case in qualifying for the 1988 Monaco Grand Prix, where he became a passenger on a surreal ride into the unknown. Already on pole, he went faster and faster and was eventually over two seconds quicker than Prost in an identical McLaren. "Suddenly, it frightened me," Ayrton said, "because I realised I was well beyond my conscious understanding. I drove back slowly to the pits and did not go out anymore that day."

Comment

Intake: The 6-port non-turbo engines (made from '86-'92) are a totally different story for porting. The front and rear side housings have the auxiliary ports in them, and the center housing has very small ports. Additionally, there is not a lot of casting thickness behind the upper part of the center port. This means if you go too far, you hit the water jacket, and the housing is now junk. If the two smaller ports in the end housings are made into one LARGE port, it is WAY too big. Therefore, the end ports are not changed much, and the majority of the time is spent on the center ports.
        From Mazdatrix Porting page.
        Even Senna confessed he occasionally went too far, as was the case in qualifying for the 1988 Monaco Grand Prix, where he became a passenger on a surreal ride into the unknown. Already on pole, he went faster and faster and was eventually over two seconds quicker than Prost in an identical McLaren. "Suddenly, it frightened me," Ayrton said, "because I realised I was well beyond my conscious understanding. I drove back slowly to the pits and did not go out anymore that day."

Comment

Re: Purchasing a track only car?

Originally posted by DC2R
          I am still brain storming at the moment but also keeping a close eyes on the market at well. Any other details or things that I overlooked/ should aware of?

Also, I am looking for good condition vehicle in other provinces as well. Anywhere I can get more information regarding the regulations on purchasing vehicle across the provinces?

thanks in advance for all the help.

CS [/B]
          May I recommend a turn key car ready to race or solo 1

1988 Players Challenge Series IROC Camaro Z28, Authentic Car, Originally the Bert & Ernies Fun Food eatery Car. Players/Firehawk heritage. 24 Hours at Sebring winner. CASC #42, Fresh 360 cu in. TPI engine, 0 miles, fresh rebuilt T5 tranny, New Autometer gauges. New Koni race shocks, New AFCoil springs with height adjusters, full road race roll cage, great condition. New Fuel Injectors, New Kirkey racing seat, ready to race. 1 set of spare tires & rims. Some spare parts. Fresh Corvette Red paint. Freshly tuned by Strudwick Race Cars and ready to hit the track. Need the shop space.
          Asking $11,500 or make me an offer. Must Sell!
          Call Perry 905-415-1126.

Ready for GTS in Puresport GT Series.

Reposted now that car is race ready & lower priced.

Some of the cars you mentioned may be a little harder to get parts for should you have a break down at the track and that would ruin your weekend, whereas with a good GM product you can get parts practically anywhere on any day.

Just my 2¢ worth.
          Perry Iannuzzi
          Past President
          Canadian Automobile Sport Clubs -Ontario Region

Comment

ok, do all n/a FC3S RX7's have the 6-port engine?

Comment

Self Proclaimed FC3S Expert (Well Sorta)

Malcolm, I am surprised that you dont know this. All Naturally asperated 86 - 91 RX7's have 6 port motors. All Turbo versions had 4 port motors. The primary differnce is that the N/A 5th and 6th ports are openned up when engine demand requires this. On the 86 to 88 versions the Auxiliary ports are opened up using exhaust back pressure (a very free flow exhaust reduces back pressure to the point were the ports won't open and you need to wire them open or remove the sleeves to get the effect). 89 - 91 versions used air pump pressure to open and had .3 higher compression, lighter rotors and had a really nice intake manifold that improved low end torque. The 86 - 88 13b had 146 hp stock and the 89 - 91 had 164 hp. The gains were the same with the Turbo II motors as well.

Regarding housing sizes, the 6 port has smaller center housing ports than any of the turbos or the 84 - 85 4 port 13B Naturally aspirated motors. With stock ports, intake and exhaust, a 86 - 91 N/A 13b RX7 is limited to around 200 hp due to exhaust port constraints. The stock 6 port end housings flow a tremendous amount, but the center ports are not the most efficient and should be replaced with a turbo center or an 84 center.

The best set up is 91 rotors, Turbo rotor housings and center housings, ported 6 port outers (I know that Danny Manning will be moaning about now) and a very free flowing intake and exhaust. Guys in E Production in the US with ported and lightened versions of this package are making a real 260 to 270 hp with this set up, but are pulling close to 10,000 rpm and the engines lifespan is measured in minutes.

The engines and cars are very durable if you follow 2 rules. Never overheat the car (above 210) and use good oils and lubricants. My old race motor and gearbox had 163,000 kms on it before cacking, with close to 8,000 kms of race mileage. It ran a high 1:40 at Mosport in its last race in 2002. Get a FC3S. It is a great lapping or track car.
              #23 GT4 Cougar and #24 GT4 RX7

sigpic

Comment

Like with any car keeping your fluids fresh and cold are key. Rotaries run hotter then normal cars in the sense they are less efficient and some of the energy loss is through heat generated by the engine.

Neverever free rev the engine out of gear, that is how you kill you main bearings, and always let it warm up and cool down.

With respect to getting 280 to 290 HP out of a stock Turbo and fuel system? that is asking for a lot of trouble. Becareful as the efficiency of the turbo is exceed at around 12 psi and you get super hot intake temps from the turbo after that.

You maybe able to do it, if you increase your fuel delivery to help cool the intake charge and move your detontation point back.
                Car # 87 - 1989 Mazda Rx-7 TurboII Solo 1
                Way too many PIPs...

Comment

Originally posted by malcolm
                  Ok, that's directly from your link to Mazdatrix, talking about porting N/A engines. You can do lots of different types of porting with an N/A... Street port and bridge port (with lots of variations of bridge porting), and of course, the peri port.

Here's a good link for port info:

http://www.autospeed.com/cms/article.html?&A=0389&P=1
                  So what class will be running in if you go peripheral port?
                  Last edited by Cheers!; 03-25-2004, 07:41 PM.
                  Way too many PIPs...

Comment

Guys, there are alot of good info and I need some time to digust and raise more questions!!!

Thanks for all the help !!!

Any good recommended mechanic in Ottawa area for rotary engine? Even though I am planning to do most of the job myself but most of my knowledge (at the moment) comes from reading off the internet as well as the mechanic manual of the FC. Any good suggestion to approach in maintaining the "imfamous" RX-7?

Comment

If you're in the Ottawa area, go to http://www.rx7heaven.on.ca/ , sponsor of the RX7Heaven #96 '83 RX7, for contact info and talk to Doug Scott.

You can also send me a PM or e-mail and we can discuss my introduction to the magic world of rotary rockets.
                      Last edited by John Powell; 03-26-2004, 12:19 PM.
                      The Man's Prayer:
                      "I'm a man, but I can change ... if I have to ... I guess!"

"I'm so old that when I hear the word "Spandex" I think of watch bracelets."

sigpic

Comment

Not sure if i'm being an ass, but don't goto rx7heaven.

Too many bad experiences and bad stories... you can go do a search at rx7club.com under rx7heaven and they will reveal many many gruesome stories of former customers of Doug.
                        Way too many PIPs...

Comment

Well, I've had no problems with Doug, and the way they re-built the front end of my car after the "off" last year at the BEMC Spring Trophy Races was a fine job. They unstitched all of the front end back to the strut towers and welded on a new one, (I have photos of the work if anyone wants to see them) and the car is still capable of high 1:40s at Mosport on an engine that's really due for a re-build. Doug has been around RX7s for a long time and knows them inside out, but he's an old fashioned no nonsense sort, and knows the true value of his parts and work. I've been there several times when some of his "unsatisfied" customers have tried to get stuff for half its value, and have gone away disappointed. Any business is bound to get some unhappy customers, but I'm not one of them or I wouldn't have RX7 Heaven's name on my car.
                          The Man's Prayer:
                          "I'm a man, but I can change ... if I have to ... I guess!"

"I'm so old that when I hear the word "Spandex" I think of watch bracelets."

sigpic

Comment

Actually I'm thinking of buying a Solo1 specific car this year too but I'm gonna wait until the fall so prices are cheaper. For the time being, I'm just gonna use my 2002 Grand Am which has a lot of suspension mods added to it already.
                            I was thinking about either a Fiero GT or Isuzu Impulse/Asuna Sunfire XS or RS Turbo, all were pretty good handlers out of the box. I've always liked the Fiero GT's and GM parts for the 2.8/3.1 are dirt cheap and a dime a dozen. I'd probably swap in a 3400 anyway and be done with it for power adders. The suspension makes the fun part.
                            The funny part is I'm a newb and haven't even been to one event yet, I'm just pumped about the upcoming season and already thinking about a car for the 2005 season, lol.
                            Mind you, I'd keep it street legal just so its easier to drive it to the track.
                            Last edited by 02eco; 04-13-2004, 09:48 AM.
                            2002 Pontiac Grand Am 5spd
                            Engine: Ecotec 2.2L 16V DOHC
                            Intake/62mm TB/Dynomax Catback Exhaust
                            Suspension: Eibach Pro Kit/KYB GR2 Struts/F&R STBs/Rear Sway/Enkei's RSV's w/ Bridgestone Fuzion ZRi's 225/40/18
                            Coming Soon: Fully modified head (in the machine shop) [Cams/P&P/Timing Gears/1mm Oversized Valves/5 angle valve job/Upgraded Springs & Retainers, Port Matched]

Comment

Just be careful with your insurance company. If they so much as sniff that you have a moded car or that you race...CANCELLED!!!

Please be sure to read the following thread:
                              http://66.59.135.81/forums/showthrea...&threadid=2687
                              Last edited by ellswrth; 06-24-2005, 09:38 AM. Reason: Correct link to old thread
                              Shaun de Jager

Comment

I have to sell one of my 2 race cars,first ones an '86 corolla gts rwd with a stock engine(rebuilt) but most everything else has been touched(list of mods way to long to get into here).Has been very successfull in solo 2 regional with class titles the last 2 seasons.I'm willing to negotiate on this car.(oh and I have a complete supercharged 4agze yet to be installed!)
                                Second car is a '88 crx si with B16,piggyback ecu, LSD,itr cams,progress coilovers,progress adjustable rear bar,prothane bushing's and on and on.This car was a road racer that I have gone through this winter and updated with all the above and more is new.Both cars have 15x7 kosei k1's with other selected wheels and tire combo's(honda ones are in the wrapper still).
                                I would prefer to sell the corolla first as I have yet to enjoy the crx,for more info please contact me.BTW both cars are caged and stripped and are kinda pretty!

Comment

Working...
                                X