Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Review: Williams F1.10 race pads

Hey all,

So after trying the F1.10 pads on my BMW at the first Solo I weekend, I can say with confidence that these pads ROCK. My car is basically stock, with RA-1's, and the brakes were great for the entire weekend (including a friday lapping evening), with very little wear. Fade was never an issue. Brake fluid looked a little dark, but in good shape. I was using DOT3 Ford 550* fluid from crappy tire, if that matters.

I found that they don't really work well cold (like any race brakes), but warm up very quickly. After about 2 or 3 stops, they were grabbing as advertised ... certainly well before the end of my warm up lap. Pedal feels is great. I could feel exactly the spot where they clamped down, but they were not violent at all. They clamp and release very definitly, but controlled, and are very easy to modulate. Once I got used to the stopping power, I was able go way deeper into corners, stop a lot harder, and still not upset the car.

As far as dust, well, they do dust, but not as much as PBR/Axxis metalmasters (which I'm using on the rear). I have only had a chance to compare them with stock BMW, as well as the new formula Williams F1.05. Obviously they are WAY better than stock. Compared to the F1.05s, the pedal feel and modulation is about the same, stopping power is better, and there are zero issues with fade and wear (where the F1.05s would fade after about 5-6 hot laps, and were done after aboout 20 laps).

I will update this post after a few more events to see how the life is (first indication is that it's VERY long!).

check em out here: www.wpfri.com
    Arek Wojciechowski
    8legs Racing, SPC #77
    http://www.8legsRacing.com

Disc wear?
    Loud Pipes Save Lives

Comment

Originally posted by TYSON
      Disc wear?
      Well, since it's only been 3 days on new discs, none. They were a bit grooved, but nothing major. I'll know more after this weekend (2 more Solo I events), and another long lapping session on July 2nd.
      Arek Wojciechowski
      8legs Racing, SPC #77

Comment

If the 1.05s are fading after 5-6 laps, how many consistent hot laps were you able to do on 1.10s?

Comment

Ryan,unlimited laps.The F1.10 is a race pad and not intended for street driving like the F1.05.You can race all day every day with no issues.

William
          William Dickson
          President-CEO
          Williams Performance Friction Inc
          Williams Engineering Inc
          Williams Formulations Inc
          Williams Racing Inc

Comment

I have tried out the 1.05's.

IF I was doing solo 1 in the Miata... I'd DEFINATELY use the 1.05 pads. AWESOME after the first stop from cold....

Couldn't fade them on Fabi... but it's more of a momentum track.
            IF I were in a heavy car... on a heavy-braking course... the 1.10's might be the trick... but a light car... or a moderate braking course... the 1.05's are just the ticket!

I'm going to try out the S2's for auto-x and street use. (virtually 100% of my driving)

I just want the FIRST stop to be the same as the rest... (important with Solo 2)
            And William assures me that this will be the case... and I trust him... as what I experienced with the 1.05's is EXACTLY what he expected... so the guy KNOWS HIS PRODUCTS!

The 1.05's are actually streetable... probably as aggressive of a street pad as is possible!
            BUT... they are not destroying the rotors... just moderately grooved...

I'd consider a set of S2's for street / auto-x... 1.05's for Solo 1 or lapping in a light car...

and maybe 1.10's for lapping in a heavy, full-interior car that is high-powered... like an S4, C5, Camaro, Mustang Gt, etc... But not sure as I haven't tried these... but the 1.05's on the bigger miata brakes were fantastic!
            Helping unlock the potential of divine velocity since 2004.

Deeper, Harder, Faster, Motorsports Inc.

“Good intentions are not an excuse for maladministration of this magnitude,” Gomery writes.

Proponent of the "Freedom of Solo 2 Information Act"

"I'm an excellent driver... Yeah... Definitely... Yeah"

Comment

Originally posted by eddie 82
              If the 1.05s are fading after 5-6 laps, how many consistent hot laps were you able to do on 1.10s?
              As William stated, no fade at all. During lapping (pretty aggressive, I might add!) I would do about 10-20 hot laps, with no fade at all. This was all the tracks at SMP (Nelson, Fabi, Pro) ... obviously, Nelson is the hardest on brakes, and they worked flawlessly everytime after they warmed up.
              Arek Wojciechowski
              8legs Racing, SPC #77

Comment

I am having excellent results as well.

I ran the 1.10's on Fabi for Solo 1, then for 3 days at the BMW School at Mosport - with 2 drivers. Minimal pad wear, long sessions, able to brake much later into the corners.

None of the dusting problems that you get with Hawk Blues or Performance Friction.

I'm sold!
                sigpic
                Rob McAuley
                TAC President

Comment

I had the opportunity to compare the 1.20s yesterday at Mosport with the PF 97s. Scary... I remember why I took them off! Coming into turn 8 at Mosport I usually brake hard about halfway between the turn in and the crest of the hill. Instant bite, very linear modulation, almost no travel, and truly violent stopping power. If anyone was watching the car at Fabi braking for turn 1 you probably know what I mean. 180-112kph from the 75' marker.

With the PF 97s my first entry into 8 I lifted at the crest and gently rolled into the brakes... and then almost went off track because no matter how hard I jumped on the middle pedal it just would not slow down. Talk about lack of friction. It didn't get any better. Long travel, lots of pressure, very little deceleration.

Unfortunately, it wasn't much longer before the engine let me down and I was pushing the car back onto the trailer.

Anyone want a free set of PF 97s for a 4-piston Wilwood caliper?
                  Chris Atkins
                  Member of the Road Course Mustang Brotherhood (1/2/2007)

06 Mustang GT (SGT3)
                  07 Mazdaspeed3

(FOR SALE)
                  91 Mustang GT SGT2

Gone to oil country!

Comment

Chris I am glad you like the Williams F1.20 so much.I can't believe you have any pad left on those.Those brakes are over a year old.How many events have you done and how much pad is left.

William
                    William Dickson
                    President-CEO
                    Williams Performance Friction Inc
                    Williams Engineering Inc
                    Williams Formulations Inc
                    Williams Racing Inc

Comment

The 20s are pretty much toast now. But they shouldn't be... the left front caliper seems to have been sticking slightly as the outside pad is almost to the backing plate and the inner is about 5mm. I just stripped, resealed, and cleaned the calipers a couple of days ago, so that problem should be corrected. If that hadn't occured they would probably still be good for another event or two.

I first put these 20s on last May for an Ian Law lapping day at SMP prior to the first S1 weekend. I did 3 Mosport GP events after that, Watkins Glen (2 days), TMP once, and the 2-day S1 event a couple of weeks ago. So they've seen a lot of severe braking. 11 events. I think that I've missed one somewhere...

BTW... great news!!! The car is back together (sheared a rocker stud) and ready for tomorrow.
                      Chris Atkins
                      Member of the Road Course Mustang Brotherhood (1/2/2007)

06 Mustang GT (SGT3)
                      07 Mazdaspeed3

(FOR SALE)
                      91 Mustang GT SGT2

Gone to oil country!

Comment

Another Great Weekend

I receive more compliments on late braking into corners with the 1.10 pads!

Last weekend it was at DDT when I was chasing Greg Judge in his Mustang. We were started close together, but he was running 1-2 seconds slower than his previous best lap. I was running about 3/10 faster (it helps having someone to chase!).

He was pulling me on the straight, but I was closing right up under braking, going into the turns at the bottom of the straightaway.

I had similar comments at the Porsche Club event at Watkins Glen last year. They couldn't believe how late I was braking.

So far, I've run 2 Solo 1 days, and a 3 day BMW school (with Sue driving 2 of those days). I've got about 1/3 pad left on the fronts.

Oh yeah - I ran them on the street for the 2 weeks between the Mosport BMW school and the Solo event. On the street, they squeal, but still stop well. When I tried that with Hawk Blues, the pads were gone in less than a week, the rotors were gouged, and I had brake dust embedded in the cars paint. No such problems with the 1.10's.

Still, I don't recommend running the pad on the street - especially in stop-and-go traffic. They stop well, but the feel isn't even. It was nice to change back to street pads after the last Solo event. No more comments from the neighbours ("Are you sure you don't need new brakes? They shouldn't sound like that!" - "I bet you can't go fast on those tires. There's no tread left on them!")
                        sigpic
                        Rob McAuley
                        TAC President

Comment

Yup, I agree 100%. When it was announced that we were running the DDT with no kink, everyone was saying how it will take major balls to keep it to the floor until after the hill going into the tight left.

Well, first I was hitting the brakes before the hill, then after the hill, and I found I was still coasting into the corner. For my last few laps (before my rad hose blew again ) I was going really deep, with zero fear that the brakes would let me down. It's really great to have the confidence that these pads bring ... just one less thing to worry about!

I also was lazy after this weekend, and I still have them on the car, so I can't report on wear, but I'll pull them off after my July 2nd lapping day, and report then.

Re: Rotor groove issue: This is likely being caused by my Axxis metalmasters which I use on the street, since Rob is not experiencing it ... This is by no means affecting the function, it just might make the rotors last not as long.
                          Arek Wojciechowski
                          8legs Racing, SPC #77

Comment

Patrick took pics of both of you at the bottom of the hill on Sunday. Both of your rear wheel fender gaps under late braking are eye popping!
                            CarGuy - Subaru BRZ #57
                            sigpic
                            Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting. Steve McQueen

Comment

Re: Another Great Weekend

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Rob McAuley
                              [B]I receive more compliments on late braking into corners with the 1.10 pads!

Last weekend it was at DDT when I was chasing Greg Judge in his Mustang. We were started close together, but he was running 1-2 seconds slower than his previous best lap. I was running about 3/10 faster (it helps having someone to chase!).

He was pulling me on the straight, but I was closing right up under braking, going into the turns at the bottom of the straightaway.

Sorry about that Rob McAuley
                              It shows just what a good pad can do.
                              I had almost no pads left (not williams pads) and was braking well befor the hill with Rob up my you no what.
                              They should of giving Rob a yellow cause I was for sure
                              holding him up in the braking zones.
                              Guess I need to order some pads.
                              1987 DECH MUSTANG
                              1999 SI Civic
                              BMW Trillium Club
                              Birel Rotax Supplier

Greg

Comment

Working...
                              X