Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 50th Anniversary for Shell 4000 Rambler

Hi All,
    Planning a few things to celebrate 50 years since this special Canadian car made it's mark as the prototype for the final cross Canada rally. I'm asking everyone to look in those old shoe boxes full of photos to see if there are any period prints hiding around that can be shared. If you were carrying a camera around Harewood, Mosport, many winter fun rallies, gymkhanas etc., as well as the the Shell 4000, Gimli runoffs and Knox Mountain Hillclimb ('69), please have a look. The only period photo I have to date is this one, taken as the cars were waiting to come back down the hill at Knox in '69. Dave Mackenzie ran the car there that year while he was out west, having used the Rambler to tow his Lotus 7 to the runoffs in Manitoba. Even if it's in the background of a shot, would appreciate ANY pictures. I'll have the car at VARAC and the BARC Trillium Trophy weekend.
    Thanks,
    Seann
    519-986-1323
    Attached Files

Re: 50th Anniversary for Shell 4000 Rambler

Hi Seann - apologies for the clarification, but you mean the blue Rambler that is behind the orange Camaro and ahead of the red 'Cuda in the first picture, correct?
    Dad ran a number of Shell rallies in a blue '69 Javelin. I'll ask if he has anything.
    -Steve
    "Asking the front wheels of a car to do <more than> their normal job of steering ... is like asking a man to wire a plug while juggling. Penguins. While making love. To a beautiful woman, while on fire, on stage, in front of the Queen. It's all going to go wrong." - J.C.

Comment

Re: 50th Anniversary for Shell 4000 Rambler

Thanks Steve,
      That's the one...it was the chase car in the rally after serving test mule duties, then raced and rallied by Sid Crump and Dave Mackenzie. Of the 6 team members in attached photo, Paul MacLennan, Jim Peters and Hunter Floyd have all been re-united with the car. As for the gentleman in the last photo, that's Ernie Regehr, the boss of the successful program at Brampton AMC plant. Ernie has been very helpful in documenting the history of all 4 cars, and has given me all the factory paperwork from 50 years ago. He's seen here taking his post restoration "test drive", and you can believe that within about 3 blocks, he had found a gravel road and the fishtailing and spraying of rocks was on! We still talk regularly and see each other once in a while, but I may be limiting his test drive privileges....
      Attached Files

Comment

50th Anniversary for Shell 4000 Rambler

Hunter Floyd at the 2016 CART Alumni Reunion.
        Attached Files
        2017/18Pres-Ottawa SportsCar Club
        CASC since'63(St.LAC,TSOA,MCO)
        Certified Technician310G,S,T+717B

Comment

Working...
        X