Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Insurance for Modified Road Cars

Hey Everyone,

I am looking for your help. I work for Zehr Insurance and am working hard to try and create a program for modified cars, which do not fit under classic or collector car programs.

I have been an car enthusiast all my life, and my dream for as long as I can remember has been to own a Subaru WRX STi. However life has never allowed me to realize that dream and with a wife and children I have had to push it off, but the want will always be there.

I know that finding proper and affordable insurance for modified vehicles can be very difficult/impossible. My brokerage specialized in Classic Car insurance, where it is not difficult to insure modified vehicles. Take on old Impala and put a Cummins diesel in it or something crazy, and I would have no problem. Same Impala but with a full custom paint job, again no issue. Even roll cages are doable. But you do an engine swap or any of the above in your newer car and insurance is impossible to find. This is unfair. If you have put the time, money and care into your car then you are going to take of it just as well as any "classic" car owner.

I am hoping to compile a database that can help me approach my insurance providers to create a specialty program for enthusiasts like yourselves. If you are willing I have provided a link below to a 10 question survey, which will help give me an overview of the potential market, and give me ammo to get this program started. The survey should only take 1 minute.

I would be so appreciative if everyone could fill out the survey and pass it along to anyone who may be willing to help me out. Thank you very much for the time and consideration. If you have any questions or input in terms of desired coverage etc, I would appreciate all feed back.

Modified Vehicle Questionnaire

Re: Insurance for Modified Road Cars

Really? A first time poster offering the magical insurance coverage for modified cars in an industry known to cancel policies for even suggesting they have touched their car in any way? Seriously? Your not able to gather information to offer insurance without getting it from people here?

This question seems way out of wack to me. Just sayin.
    Last edited by Doug P; 04-16-2018, 08:03 PM.
    sigpic
    Pro Tour Truck

Doug

Comment

Originally posted by KurtZehrINS View Post
      Hey Everyone,

I am looking for your help. I work for Zehr Insurance and am working hard to try and create a program for modified cars, which do not fit under classic or collector car programs.

I have been an car enthusiast all my life, and my dream for as long as I can remember has been to own a Subaru WRX STi. However life has never allowed me to realize that dream and with a wife and children I have had to push it off, but the want will always be there.

I know that finding proper and affordable insurance for modified vehicles can be very difficult/impossible. My brokerage specialized in Classic Car insurance, where it is not difficult to insure modified vehicles. Take on old Impala and put a Cummins diesel in it or something crazy, and I would have no problem. Same Impala but with a full custom paint job, again no issue. Even roll cages are doable. But you do an engine swap or any of the above in your newer car and insurance is impossible to find. This is unfair. If you have put the time, money and care into your car then you are going to take of it just as well as any "classic" car owner.

I am hoping to compile a database that can help me approach my insurance providers to create a specialty program for enthusiasts like yourselves. If you are willing I have provided a link below to a 10 question survey, which will help give me an overview of the potential market, and give me ammo to get this program started. The survey should only take 1 minute.

I would be so appreciative if everyone could fill out the survey and pass it along to anyone who may be willing to help me out. Thank you very much for the time and consideration. If you have any questions or input in terms of desired coverage etc, I would appreciate all feed back.

Modified Vehicle Questionnaire
      Kurt

Thank you for taking the initiative. I have completed and submitted my response to your survey.

I can't see any downside to supporting an enthusiast who happens to be in the insurance business and is reaching out to a group who very likely have a few of the exact vehicles being referred to.
      2017/18Pres-Ottawa SportsCar Club
      CASC since'63(St.LAC,TSOA,MCO)
      Certified Technician310G,S,T+717B

Comment

Originally posted by Doug P View Post
        Really? A first time poster offering the magical insurance coverage for modified cars in an industry known to cancel policies for even suggesting they have touched their car in any way? Seriously? Your not able to gather information to offer insurance without getting it from people here?

This question seems way out of wack to me. Just sayin.
        Hey Doug,

I know insurance has a bad wrap but I am seriously just trying to help.

Zehr specializes in collector car insurance. We are the pioneer of the program in Ontario. We were here before silver wheels. Lant. Hagerty and the rest. We are celebrating our 50th year of the program.

We participate in lots of car shows and what not throughout the year and at the shows there are many people with newer cars that are modified. In talks with these owners many either lie. Are forced to insure with Hagerty. Or don't insure and trailer from show to show.

I have always found it funny that a 20 plus year old car that is modified is easy to insure. As mentioned. A diesel in an Impala. Custom paint jobs. Chevy gasser with a Hemi. All of these are very insurable. But you take a newer car and swap engines, add bigger turbos, etc and all of a sudden it is uninsurable. Why should that have to be the case.

I may not own anything exciting but I have loved cars for as long as I can remember and I feel that there is a need here that I want to help with.

Anyway I know this forum is more about track cars but I could only imagine that many of you will have your love of cars and modification roll over into your road cars.

You can take from it what you want but I can say my intentions are genuine.

Have a good night.

Comment

Happy to fill out the survey, given it's anonymous...

Separately from modifications, how about some sort of provision for those who like to drive to and compete in Time Attack or Autocross events? I realize there are legislative restrictions about this (and debated at length on this forum), but I'm sure there is a market of people who want coverage while on the road, and understand that if they stuff it at the track, it's their problem.

Anyway, I'm sure that's a pipe-dream but I thought I would ask regardless.
          "Asking the front wheels of a car to do <more than> their normal job of steering ... is like asking a man to wire a plug while juggling. Penguins. While making love. To a beautiful woman, while on fire, on stage, in front of the Queen. It's all going to go wrong." - J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by Burnsey View Post
            Happy to fill out the survey, given it's anonymous...

Separately from modifications, how about some sort of provision for those who like to drive to and compete in Time Attack or Autocross events? I realize there are legislative restrictions about this (and debated at length on this forum), but I'm sure there is a market of people who want coverage while on the road, and understand that if they stuff it at the track, it's their problem.

Anyway, I'm sure that's a pipe-dream but I thought I would ask regardless.
            Coverage for this is possible. You can purchased track day coverage for your road car. There is also physical damage coverage that can be purchased.

The problem is the track coverage does not provide accident benefits for your self. So you may be able to have your car fixed but in the freak chance it is a bad accident and you are crippled or something, the track coverage has no coverage and your main provider would deny claim because of how you were using the car at the time.

I agree that proper track coverage is another goal in the industry but I will have to take this one step at a time.

Creating this program is probably a pipe dream in itself for me. But this is something I have thought about doing for a couple years and I have decided that this year I am going to follow through.

I appreciate you taking the time for the survey. Every little but helps.

Also love the top gear reference in your signature.

Comment

How did this survey work out? 3 posts on same day by new member then nothing.
              sigpic
              Pro Tour Truck

Doug

Comment

Working...
              X