Disposing of fuel cell foam?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Disposing of fuel cell foam?

Does anyone know the best way to handle this stuff? I just got a car that has a fuel cell, I need to replace the foam as it's pretty old but it's still pretty wet with fuel. Obviously don't want to blow myself up. Any suggestions?

Paul
    1990 Supercharged Ecotec Miata

Disposal of Fuel Cell Foam

I would put it in metal contaimers of some kind, eg old paint cans or what ever and take it to the hazardous waste disposal door at the local Toronto solid waste transfer station. In Toronto you can take them used oil, partially full paint cans, stale gasoline, old batteries of any type, etc. Never had them refuse anything. However getting rid of tires is a different problem but still doable.

Comment

Re: Disposal of Fuel Cell Foam

Originally posted by DEK
      I would put it in metal contaimers of some kind, eg old paint cans or what ever and take it to the hazardous waste disposal door at the local Toronto solid waste transfer station. In Toronto you can take them used oil, partially full paint cans, stale gasoline, old batteries of any type, etc. Never had them refuse anything. However getting rid of tires is a different problem but still doable.
      Cool, thanks. My main worry is drying out the foam pieces. I really don't want to have to transport them, even in metal containers, saturated in fuel. I figure I'll put them on a wood block in the back yard, in the shade and let them slowly dry out. Shouldn't take more than 30 minutes or so before I can put them in paint cans and take them to the hazardous waste disposal.

Paul

Comment

WARNING!!!
        Read up on the proper way of removing the foam.You should be able to get the information from the cell manufacturer.
        Static electrical build-up can occure while manipulating the foam and if the cell isn't grounded correctly a discharge can cause an explosion.

Comment

fuel cell foam

We have been grounding all of my cars as well as my customers for about five years ever since we read about the problem with static during manufacturing. We run a electrical wire from one of the bolts in the top ring to the chassis. As far as the foam is concerned it does not absorb anything because it is plastic and as such the foam only has to air dry which takes about ten min.

Cheers Phil

Comment

Originally posted by slucas
            WARNING!!!
            Read up on the proper way of removing the foam.You should be able to get the information from the cell manufacturer.
            Static electrical build-up can occure while manipulating the foam and if the cell isn't grounded correctly a discharge can cause an explosion.
            Good point on the static.

Thanks,

Paul

Comment

Just put it in a metal garbage can and chuck a match in from 100 feet. Problem solved.

- J

Comment

Originally posted by JAYh
                Just put it in a metal garbage can and chuck a match in from 100 feet. Problem solved.

- J
                I'll take that under advisement.

Paul

Comment

Working...
                X