No announcement yet.

RV as a race car hauler - suggestions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RV as a race car hauler - suggestions?

Well, I think the old pick-upís just about on itís last legs as a race-car hauler, so Iím thinking of replacing it later this Summer (when I hope to get some money) with a motorhome and Iím looking for advice. What Iím thinking of is a good used older class ďCĒ or smaller class ďAĒ, and I will probably have $5,000.00 or so to spend. Iíve already seen some in Autotrader around that price in Southern Ontario, so they are available, and some even had on-board generators. Iíve only spoken to one person so far who uses a motorhome as a hauler, and he advised me that the older Chrysler engines in some are not reliable. Does anyone else have suggestions, sources of info, etc.?

PS: I realise that Peter Barker has one for sale now, but it'll probably be sold before I get the money.
    Last edited by John Powell; 05-04-2005, 11:11 PM.
    The Man's Prayer:
    "I'm a man, but I can change ... if I have to ... I guess!"

"I'm so old that when I hear the word "Spandex" I think of watch bracelets."

sigpic

John, I don't know if he still has it, but Allistair Mclean of VARAC had a good little motorhome for sale awhile ago. I know he will be at the track next weekend with a dark blue Frogeye (# 00, I think). he's a good guy, I bought my tent trailer from him. He's from Tillsonburg area but I'm sure you could work something out for delivery. I will try to find his email and ask him about it.
    John
    Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall. Torque is how far you take the wall with you.

Comment

John.
      A class C is the best way to go as far as easier and less expensive maintance goes.
      You have to look for one that has a frame that goes right to the rear bumper.
      I know of some Canadian built units that have a" Bird Cage" type frame at the back. They are not suitable for towing.
      I have seen several with the $ss end pulled out of them.
      The Ford 460 CI. is a good engine.
      Wish they still made them!.
      I know of a lot of guys towed with the older Dodge engine and had good luck with them.
      Ken G.
      Last edited by inoverdrive; 05-05-2005, 09:17 AM.
      At The Feast of Ego, Everyone leaves Hungry.

Comment

John G. - Thanks. It could be a couple of months before the money comes through, though.

Ken - Thanks for the tip about the frame. For some reason I just assumed that they all would have a full frame. As for the Chrysler engines, I was a bit surprised at what I was told as the old 318/340 V8s used to have a good reputation.
        The Man's Prayer:
        "I'm a man, but I can change ... if I have to ... I guess!"

"I'm so old that when I hear the word "Spandex" I think of watch bracelets."

sigpic

Comment

article in grassroots motor sport

There is a good review of RV issues in the December 2003 Grassroots Motorsports magazine

Comment

John, If Allistair hasn't sold it by now, I would think a few more months won't be a huge issue.
            I remember that review and may have it somewhere. It was a bit of a cautionary tale about what not to get and what mods may need to be made to make the RV haul well. It was pretty well done.
            J
            Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall. Torque is how far you take the wall with you.

Comment

Working...
            X