Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wheel question for Honda folks...

I just bought a set of these wheels:

They're 15x7, 5x114.3, ET+38mm. The guy says someone told him they're off a euro Civic type-R or something. Are these a factory Honda wheel or no? They have a 73mm center bore, which sort of leads me to believe they're an aftermarket wheel, but they do look sort of factory.
    '89 BMW 328iT
    --CSP

Fist in the air in the land of hypocrisy!

Not a CTR wheel. The 6g CTR had the same wheels as the 3g ITR. The 7g CTR, which is built in England comes with 17" wheels, and they definitely don't look like that.

Is it going on a Type R? You might get some rubbing with that offset. You might want to consider getting 4-5mm machined off If you're going to be running 225s.
    George D

Comment

Maybe they were mounted on a type-R of some type. Looks aside 38mm is a littel "sticky outy" for a Honda. It'll fit some, but not many.
      Marshall McLean
      95 Mazda Miata
      sigpic

Comment

I use 38 offset with a 7" on my EG. It's a perfect fit with a slight massage on the fender lips.

Comment

They'll be going on my 626, if I can make +38 work for me. It'll be kinda tight I think but there's a chance. 205s on a +35 clear pretty well, so I'm hoping the slightly shorter 225s on a +38 might clear too.
          Regarding machining, 4-5mm sounds like a lot... Is there enough material there to comfortably do that? Is it common practice?
          '89 BMW 328iT
          --CSP

Comment

I think it is a lot. It depends on the wheel though. Some are meant for it.

I have a very strong suspicion that a lot of the wheels Tirerack sells have been machined by them. I saw a few different sets of S2000 wheels they say have proper offset. When I looked up the wheels on the manufacturer's sites their offsets were off by at least 10mm from what would fit, not even from what was optimal. It's possible they're doing custom orders, but I dunno.
            George D

Comment

I looked into Kosei K1s from Tire Rack, and they do get blanks and have them custom drilled for your application, but I was under the impression that the different offsets were different castings.
              '89 BMW 328iT
              --CSP

Comment

I have 17x7.5 with a 35 offset and 15x7 with a 38 offset on my Civic no problems, used to run 15x7 42 offset but they rubbed on the inside...
                Tod.
                Crew Chief: - CTCC Car #41
                www.twinlakesmc.org

Comment

Originally posted by haniforama
                  I use 38 offset with a 7" on my EG. It's a perfect fit with a slight massage on the fender lips.
                  That's an EG. All the 5 bolt Hondas use a 55mm offset from the factory. They will fit a type-R, but not nearly as well as a 45.
                  Marshall McLean
                  95 Mazda Miata
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Marsh
                    That's an EG. All the 5 bolt Hondas use a 55mm offset from the factory. They will fit a type-R, but not nearly as well as a 45.
                    agreed

Comment

Not to nit pick... okay yeah, to nit pick: The Type R is 50. The S2000 is 55 front, but 65 rear. The NSX used 55 front but 60 rear until 02, when the rear changed to 56.
                      George D

Comment

Working...
                      X