Lexan Windows?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lexan Windows?

As I work on the project car, one of the things I need are to replace the rear side windows. These windows are two piece glass sliders that I would like to replace with a single large piece of Lexan. Obviously this is a custom piece. Anyone know of anywhere that could cut and mount lexan in this manner?

Cheers,

Paul
    1990 Supercharged Ecotec Miata

Re: Lexan Windows?

Originally posted by paulmon
    As I work on the project car, one of the things I need are to replace the rear side windows. These windows are two piece glass sliders that I would like to replace with a single large piece of Lexan. Obviously this is a custom piece. Anyone know of anywhere that could cut and mount lexan in this manner?

Cheers,

Paul
    Not quite sure what type of car you have but here is some info in lexan.

The first thing is to trace the shape you want out of bristol board or carboard or something and transfer that over with.

Either you are really good with a router or you are going to need to make some guides when cutting the lexan sheet. Use a o flute end mill that will fit in your router. Cut out the peice.

My experience comes from watching/helping a friend making lexan windsheilds for crotch rockets.

What he then does is use the existing windsheild off a bike. He determines the centre point of the stock windshield with tape ad well as the centre point of his lexan peice. He makes sure both are lined up and he then uses quick grips and rope to tie the lexan peice over the stock windsheild. He then sticks the two into an oven at 210F for 30 to 45 mins and take it out and lets it cool down in room temp.

This will form the lexan to the same shape as the stock windsheild. Right now u've essentially made a female mold of the original windsheild, but since bikes are so small you can just trim the windshield and have it close enough and it will fit.

I'm not sure if it will work for a car. I've never tried it.

For the motorcycle windsheilds he uses GE Plastics FMR102. It is extremely strong and expensive.

When i was looking into doing this for my rx7 I found a place in Brampton that stocks it.

GE Polymershapes
    9150 Airport Road
    brampton, Ontario
    L6S 6G1
    905-789-3111

but now i've run out of PIP for my car and I lost interest....

good luck.

to secure the lexan to the windsheild use the original window frame if you have one. Drill out seveal holes and coutnersink it. Use flat hex bolt and nuts to hold it + windsheild sealent/goop glue. If this will interfere then you can only rely on the winsheild sealent/goop glue stuff... and I'm uncertain if it will bong properly with lexan. It should though....
    Attached Files
    Car # 87 - 1989 Mazda Rx-7 TurboII Solo 1
    Way too many PIPs...

Comment

Thanks for the information. I wish I had the tools to work this myself but I don't.

Anyone know of any shops that work with Lexan that could tackle this?

paul

Comment

Paul. you'r just doing a flat sheet window aren't you? Make your pattern and cut it out with a jigsaw using a blade for steel. Make sure it's sharp or you melt instead of cut the Lexan. I got my last stuff at 69 Auto Racing. A stock car store in Bolton but check with Apple Auto Glass, they might bring it in for you. I'm sure you can put your hands on a jigsaw. Use a dremel to trim as necessary.
        By the way, if this is a race car, check the rules. There is a different minimum thickness for different windows
        J
        Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall. Torque is how far you take the wall with you.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnG
          Paul. you'r just doing a flat sheet window aren't you? Make your pattern and cut it out with a jigsaw using a blade for steel. Make sure it's sharp or you melt instead of cut the Lexan. I got my last stuff at 69 Auto Racing. A stock car store in Bolton but check with Apple Auto Glass, they might bring it in for you. I'm sure you can put your hands on a jigsaw. Use a dremel to trim as necessary.
          By the way, if this is a race car, check the rules. There is a different minimum thickness for different windows
          J
          John, you do have a point, not a very complicated window, but it is a big area. I'll poke around and see what I can find out.

Cheers,

Paul

Comment

Lexan

Try EM Plastics, I believe on Norfinch- you can see their building on the east side of the 400. They sell off-cuts of Lexan -so you do not have to buy a complete sheet. They also have drills & blades- inexpensive - for doing a better job than using the generic blades/ drills that come with the tools. Lexan is sooo easy to cut. You can hit it, drill it, cut it & it does not crack or shatter- unlike acrylics.
            Budgetracer

Comment

Called the EM Group they have a whole warehouse full of different plastics. Sheets, rolls, pieces, films you get the idea.

I had a tour of the warehouse today. They can even supply 40 and 50 foot pieces from rolls of lexan.

EM Group
              439 Norfinch Drive
              Downsview, Ontario
              M3N 1Y4

416-665-5388
              1-800-465-4455

or http://www.emplastic.com
              1992 Integra "Type Robb"
              1991 Civic DX
              -----------------
              2001 f150 XLT
              1996 Acura 3.2 tl
              1982 Honda CB900C

Comment

Grisdale racing in Dundas carries it as well. http://www.grisdale.com/

Rob.
                =====================================
                Rob van Brandenburg
                '04 Subaru WRX Wagon
                Subaru EJ25 powered 1970 Beetle
                http://www.vanbran.com/bug/conversion_main.htm
                =====================================

Comment

I agree with John; the best way to cut it is with a jigsaw.

FYI Lexan is a brand name, like Kleenex everyone uses it, some companies like GE Polymer will actuall sell you Lexan if you ask for it by that name, but they also have generic brands which can be less money; ask for polycarbonate.

I buy my poly from Redwood plastics, and if you have a print they have a CNC router and will cut your exact shape. In your case I would do a template and jigsaw it.
                  -----------------------
                  integratedmechanical.ca
                  -----------------------
                  Proud member of MSOC
                  --------------------------
                  2006 National Champion of BS
                  ---------------------------------

Some people are like slinkies,
                  They really don't have a purpose,
                  But they still bring a smile to your face
                  when you push them down the stairs.

Comment

Called EM plastics myself. Looks like I'll go the sheet route and jigsaw it.

Paul

Comment

Working...
                    X