Premium Safety Equipment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Premium Safety Equipment

What is everyone's opinion on premium safety equipment brands? (ie. Stand 21, OMP, Sparco, Momo, etc.)

Is it something that people are willing to pay for?
    Is it in the budget for most racers?
    Are they purely a luxury and economical brands are generally purchased?

Obviously Sparco and Momo have the tuner car market to help support them, but what is the general market like for high-end safety gear?

Since most have limited representation in Canada currently I think I already know the answer, but would sales improve if there was more local representation?

Thanks,
    Mike
    Cheers,

Mike Basden

Re: Premium Safety Equipment

I had a Bell helmet and now use a OMP helmet. The difference in build/material quality is definitely noticeable. From a comfort and durability standpoint, I'm happy I spent a couple hundred extra on the OMP helmet.

FYI, both KHF/Kensai Racing in Scaroborough and TRAC Racing in Montreal carry OMP and sell their full line-up of racewear at prices that I think would surprise a lot of racers. I bought a 3-layer OMP suit from KHF and it was no more expensive than a comparable LEAF suit.

Good deals on Sparco can apparently be had at JRP (in Mississauga/Brampton area), though I haven't personally shopped there.
    The bearded weirdo from Speed Academy

Comment

I agree with you Dave, I've got a Stand 21 F21-99 and love it! VERY lightweight, good air-circulation and well worth the money.

I'm hoping others will give their opinons as well. I have an opportunity for sole distribution of some premium lines for Canada, but don't think there's much of a market to support the volume requirements to maintain the rights.
      Cheers,

Mike Basden

Comment

I've got a Sparco suit (Sprint 5) that I bought in 2002. I went for it mainly because of the FIA certification. I tried to find a local supplier, but couldn't find one that I liked. I ended up ordering my suit from Demon Tweeks in the UK.

If I had to do it again, I'd go to a local dealer. The duty and brokerage fee ended up being quite a bit more than I thought they'd be, and I would've like to have tried the suit on before I bought it; I lucked out on the size, but it would've been nice to be sure before I ordered).

I've got a Peltor rally helmet (badged as Peltor, helmet manufactured by YES, built-in Peltor intercom). I got it locally through Precision Sports; I'd never order a helmet by mail - I'm too paranoid about damage during shipping.

For me, the certification and the practial elements (e.g. the intercom for my helmet) are the things that dictate the decision. If I thought a more expensive suit made me safer, there's a good chance I'd go for it. I probably wouldn't pay extra for something that just looks a bit prettier.

I really like my suit and helmet, and I'd have no problem going with the same brands & styles when the ones I have expire, or when a sponsor backs a dump truck full of money up to my house and asks me to get a different colour suit.

But to answer your question, yes, local representation would help. Especially if you have samples for sizing purposes so I can make sure it fits.
        Jeff Hagan
        Itinerant Rally Co-Driver

Comment

For Sparco....JRP is the place. they have recently ordered in a PILE of stock and are now dealing directly with Sparco in Italy, so the pricing is much better.

Personally..i wear an OMP helmet and the thing is awesome. I bought it like 3 years ago because it was really light, and actually much cheaper than the Bell, Simpson, Sparco, Arai counterparts.

I believe there is a market. for it....but i also believe there is a market for "cheaper stuff"

For Instance...i recently needed new 5 point harnesses for the rally car. So i call Leaf....300 a piece, call KHF/Kensai....399 a piece for OMP, call JRP around 300 a piece.

I go look on some rally boards, find that people are really liking G-Force stuff from the states...So i find a rally friendly vendor...i get A PAIR of FIA approved Harnesses shipped to my door for around $300 CDN. I figure they would have been cheaper quality than Sparcos, OMP, MOMO....but man...These things are AWESOME, much better belts than the Sparco/Sabelts i took out of the car! There is a market for this stuff....especially since i was able to buy two harnesses for the price of one other belt.
          Chris
          Old School Motorsports

Comment

Sidewayz wrote: "For Sparco....JRP is the place. they have recently ordered in a PILE of stock and are now dealing directly with Sparco in Italy, so the pricing is much better."

I ordered some Sparco Rally shoes (only Nomex shoe which fit my wide feet) from saferacer.com and saved $150.00 even with the shipping and duty, compared to JRP. Maybe their prices have improved but this was just three months ago. I was shocked when JRP told me the price for the shoe....

YMMV,
            Patrick

Comment

Originally posted by P.Po
              Sidewayz wrote: "For Sparco....JRP is the place. they have recently ordered in a PILE of stock and are now dealing directly with Sparco in Italy, so the pricing is much better."

I ordered some Sparco Rally shoes (only Nomex shoe which fit my wide feet) from saferacer.com and saved $150.00 even with the shipping and duty, compared to JRP. Maybe their prices have improved but this was just three months ago. I was shocked when JRP told me the price for the shoe....

YMMV,
              Patrick
              Did you get dinged by customs and brokerage badly? I saw this OMP steering wheel I want from saferacer.com
              Car # 87 - 1989 Mazda Rx-7 TurboII Solo 1
              Way too many PIPs...

Comment

Originally posted by Cheers!
                Did you get dinged by customs and brokerage badly? I saw this OMP steering wheel I want from saferacer.com
                Do NOT use UPS to send anything to Canada from the US. There brokerage rates are nuts. I use regular US post and usually don't get dinged much. But you have to wait a while and be nice to the shipping people to get them to do it...

I have also found a US partner in crime that I now get to relay any products I order from the US.... but I did not do this for the shoes and it STILL was much cheaper.

-Patrick

Comment

Originally posted by P.Po
                  Do NOT use UPS to send anything to Canada from the US. There brokerage rates are nuts. I use regular US post and usually don't get dinged much. But you have to wait a while and be nice to the shipping people to get them to do it...

I have also found a US partner in crime that I now get to relay any products I order from the US.... but I did not do this for the shoes and it STILL was much cheaper.

-Patrick
                  saferacer.com will ship USPS?
                  Way too many PIPs...

Comment

actual amount you have to pay with UPS:

http://www.ups.com/content/ca/en/shi...clearance.html

As long as you factor that into your head before you buy I don't find the brokerage fees that bad. Fed-exs rates are not online, but I had someone from customer service FAX me the rates, and they are just slighty cheaper than UPS.

USPS is the best of course..

Comment

It doesn't matter what value the package is, if it comes through UPS it costs me $60. I have had free ($0 value) stuff, up to > $1000 shocks come through UPS, and it always costs me $60+. I used to work there, and I can tell you they suck.

USPS all the way. If the shipper will mark the package 'gift' or even better 'warranty return/exchange' then you don't pay any customs or duty.

Tom
                      Red Pepper Racing

I live my life a quarter pounder at a time.

Comment

Originally posted by rpr
                        It doesn't matter what value the package is, if it comes through UPS it costs me $60. I have had free ($0 value) stuff, up to > $1000 shocks come through UPS, and it always costs me $60+. I used to work there, and I can tell you they suck.

USPS all the way. If the shipper will mark the package 'gift' or even better 'warranty return/exchange' then you don't pay any customs or duty.

Tom
                        Yup, UPS charges a flat rate brokerage fee. Whereas Fedex uses a %. Fedex charges 6% I think.

Just more places in states ship UPS only which is annoying.
                        Way too many PIPs...

Comment

Originally posted by Cheers!
                          saferacer.com will ship USPS?
                          I have had saferacer.com ship USPS. Not sure if they do it all the time... I recently had some trouble with saferacer.com on a diferent order, but that's another long boring story.

I am confused because my experience was that UPS charges a certain % on the packages. However, proof shows otherwise! Oh well....

-Patrick

Comment

Thanks for hijacking the thread guys!
                            Cheers,

Mike Basden

Comment

Working...
                            X