Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Importing a car from US to Canada(driving it)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Importing a car from US to Canada(driving it)

I am going to Houston Texas on Sunday for a job. While I am down there, I am going to look for a car. I hate rust so I figure that's the place to get a rust free car with A/C. What I can't seem to find is how to legally drive the car home. Plates, ownership, anything? It says how to import a car, but not how to actually go about licencing and driving the thing home. I am crazy busy this week so I need some help finding the info without sitting on the computer all week. I beg of you, help a brutha out.

D.
    Darren deRoos
    1986 Porsche 944 Turbo

Re: Importing a car from US to Canada(driving it)

It varies by state ... usually, just go to the DMV and transfer the ownership, and you'll get a 10 day permit or something. Or, just use the guy's plates and take a chance :-)
    Arek Wojciechowski
    8legs Racing, SPC #77
    http://www.8legsRacing.com

Comment

You mean I can just go to the Texas DMV and get a trip permit?

D.
      Darren deRoos
      1986 Porsche 944 Turbo

Comment

Originally posted by MastaDeeMon
        You mean I can just go to the Texas DMV and get a trip permit?

D.
        Similar to a 10-day temp permit here in Ontario, you should be able to do somethign similar in Texas. I believe some states have longer than 10 days even, and your permit should even be good up here until it expires.
        -=Brian=-

Comment

GOOD post. I was about to ask the same (in Oregon last week, land of Miata's and MR2's. ). What about the insurance issue? Will your insurance co. insure a (temporarily) US plated vehicle?

As an aside, I got to drive an NC (2006) Miata in the Mountains around Eugene Oregon. Absolutely, completely, fantastic.

Nathan
          2012 Grand Caravan
          1991 911 C4
          1997 Miata

Comment

My insurance company will insure anything for me if I can give them the VIN.

Comment

Originally posted by njansenv
              GOOD post. I was about to ask the same (in Oregon last week, land of Miata's and MR2's. ). What about the insurance issue? Will your insurance co. insure a (temporarily) US plated vehicle?

As an aside, I got to drive an NC (2006) Miata in the Mountains around Eugene Oregon. Absolutely, completely, fantastic.

Nathan
              I'm pretty sure you are actually covered for any new vehicle for 10 days, but I would check with your company just to make sure.
              Arek Wojciechowski
              8legs Racing, SPC #77

Comment

There is more to importing a vehicle into canada than just a travel permit. Someone that once did it explained it and here is what I remember. He had the ownerships and receipt send in advance to the location where he was going to cross over . The vehicle had to meet the Canadian safety standards for that vehicle ( bilingual safety stickers if applicable to the year\make\model ) as well as pay taxes and duties at the border . Better get some info or you might be sitting at the border for a day or two until it gets straightened out. Check the Govt of canada web site and I think you'll find something there. Good Luck!

Comment

Found this on a old email
                  Hey All,

Looks like alot of you have been curious about what is really involved in
                  picking up your dream Shelby from the states. It's truly a piece of cake and
                  shouldn't discourage any of you a purchase.

Here’s a simple step-by-step guide to importing your dream car into Canada.

1-Find a car.
                  2-Is it under 15yrs old? If yes, find out if it’s allowed into the country. Go
                  here:www.riv.ca
                  3-If yes, look at the same list for what modifications ( if any ) are required
                  for Canadian motor vehicle compliancy. Otherwise you won’t be able to register
                  the car. Common mods include, Daytime Running Lamps, Billingual airbag decals,
                  etc etc. This can possbly get expensive so get all the info before buying.
                  4-If the car is over 15yrs old it’s admissible regardless without any mods.
                  5-If you want the car, get the owner to mail the signed title to whichever US
                  port of entry you’ll be crossing at. US Customs will not release the vehicle
                  until they’ve had the title for at least 72hrs to check for liens, theft etc
                  etc.
                  6-Insure the vehicle. Even if it’s going on a trailer.
                  7-Pick-up the car. Call US Customs before leaving that morning to make sure
                  they’ve had the title 72hrs and that it indeed will be released.
                  8-On your way back, stop at US Customs and pick-up the title. They’ll check the
                  vin to make sure it’s the right vehicle, stamp the title as ‘released’ and
                  you’re on your way. This step is free and takes about 10mins.
                  9-Stop at Canadian Customs, tell the guy in the booth you have a vehicle to
                  declare. He’ll give you a small paper, tell you where to park and to go inside.
                  10-Go inside, give the officer the title and bill of sale. He’ll do the rest (
                  including going outside to check the vin ).
                  11-Get a bill of sale for as low as possible, you’ll be paying taxes of this
                  amount.
                  You pay:
                  -Federal 8% tax on sale price.
                  -$100.00 A/C tax if equipped.
                  -$180.00 for compliancy form ( if under 15yrs old ).
                  That’s it…he’ll give you back your title, bill of sale, reciept of duty paid and
                  compliancy form ( if applicable ). This takes about 15-20mins.
                  12-Go home. Lol

Once home:
                  1-Get required mods ( if any ) done and have it inspected at a RIV authorised
                  dealer. ( If under 15yrs old )
                  2-Get a safety check
                  3-Register the vehicle same as regular ( including the 7% pst )

4-Bolt the plates on and enjoy. =)

Comment

Originally posted by crashgordon56
                    There is more to importing a vehicle into canada than just a travel permit. Someone that once did it explained it and here is what I remember. He had the ownerships and receipt send in advance to the location where he was going to cross over . The vehicle had to meet the Canadian safety standards for that vehicle ( bilingual safety stickers if applicable to the year\make\model ) as well as pay taxes and duties at the border . Better get some info or you might be sitting at the border for a day or two until it gets straightened out. Check the Govt of canada web site and I think you'll find something there. Good Luck!
                    Agreed ... however, if you read the original question, it specifically asks about the driving part (not the licensing part). We all assumed that the original poster has done his homework on RIV.ca and the entrie process

Good info nonthenless, though!
                    Arek Wojciechowski
                    8legs Racing, SPC #77

Comment

You're right, my bad!

Comment

It is interesting looking through the admissable vs non-admissable list for manufacturers.
                        Many of the non-admissable cars are only that because the manufacture does not want them in the Canadian market, not because of a saftey or enviromental issue.

Comment

While I realize you guys are talking about driving the car back. I just wanted to share our recent experience bring a race car back from the states. It did not have a vin as it was a purpose built race car, if there is no vin then the US doesnt care. We even faxed them the bill of sale and log book 72hrs in advance, they werent even interested in seeing that or the car when we crossed. However the Canadian side was a different story, they wanted the GST and even tried to get us to pay PST. Luckily we had researched the whole thing before hand and after pointing out the car would never be licenced they backed off. No duty either, then came the search, geez everything but making us unload the car. They even wanted to know if we bought it off the web so they could confirm the price matched the bill of sale!
                          So if you are thinking of trying that game...beware!

Comment

Working...
                          X