Question on rusting....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question on rusting....

Quick question... may rust around the rear wheel wells of a 92 Civic be a sign of a worse problem underneath the car or with the suspension? Just trying to understand the real importance behind this particular element when buying a car.

Here's the thing: I've found a very good deal and I really don't want to let it go. However the rust (is not a lot but is noticeable) is stopping me from getting the car for now. If the reason why one should look for a car without rust is merely to avoid the pain and cost of panel repair, I may consider getting it and change the panels (it's that good of a deal!), but if it is a sign of something much more serious....
    Ana Santos

Re: Question on rusting....

The rear wheel well is the most common place for rust on nearly every car in existence. That's always the first place for rust to form. So it's probably not a big deal, but there's no way to be sure without a closer look.

3 things I almost always bring when shopping for a older used car: jack, cordless impact gun, flashlight.

Don't be afraid to take a wheel off and visually inspect the suspension and the underside of the car for yourself. No seller I've ever been to has ever said 'no' to that.
    Right now, someone somewhere is practicing, and when you face him, he will beat you.

Comment

more importantly, how many PIP's would be be if you rusted your car down to only 1500 lbs?

Comment

This is a very common rust spot for almost all Honda's, specifically the 92-95 generation. It is due to the way the inner and out liner is sealed, I'm told.

If it is good shape otherwise and the price is right, do it! Parts are a dime a dozen and you could join HADA for all the go fast advice you'll every need.

Comment

Oh, of course, you can always take it to Raj (Discovery Auto Collision) to get it fixed right!

Comment

Ughhh, Honda rot is the worst. I've had mine patched once and its going again. I love the car but...
            http://www.rallyeast.ca - http://www.lookoffrally.com - http://www.atlanticmotorsportpark.com

Comment

Having owned 6 92-95 Civics in various different states of tune I can safely say that the floor and major structural components of that gen of car are in moslty good shape even when the rear wheel arches show rust.

Rear suspension bolts WILL be a pain to remove should you want to upgrade and most if not all suspension bushings will be worn or torn, but these can be purchased/installed for fairly cheap.

Ideally you'll want to purchase a car that hasn't been "tweaked" before to avoid any possible abuse.

Comment

Thanks a lot guys !! Very helpful advice from everyone...

And yes Wes! Discovery Auto Collision is where the car will definitely go if something needs to be done!

Thanks again!
                Ana Santos

Comment

Working...
                X