Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Honda Civic Question

Hey Guys,

I have a question for anyone who knows anything about the JDM SOHC VTEC engine for a '94 Civic. I'm not even sure of the engine code because there are so many conflicting sources on the 'net. I think it is a D16ZC, but it could be a D15B, or D16A9... there were too many possibilities. My favourite are the people who outright swear that the engine doesn't exist, but that's besides the point.

I have one of these SOHC VTEC engines in my car, and I am looking to get a clutch for it. Now, I assume that it is the original transmission that came with the car, because the previous owner paid about $450 for the engine.

If this is the case, a clutch for a North American DOHC VTEC engine should be what the doctor ordered right? Same for a flywheel I assume too?

I'm confused.

Ryan

Re: Honda Civic Question

Any D-series clutch and flywheel should work.

Comment

Thanks Keith,

One of the performance stores here in London lists different part numbers for the '92-'02 SOHC and '94-'01 DOHC VTEC.

Unfortunately they don't go into more detail than that on the website. Maybe I'll give them a call and hope I don't get some guy who just knows how to read a catalog, or punch a model into a computer to get compatible parts.

Ryan

Comment

Ryan-

The 94-01 DOHC is Honda's B-Series motors (Integra, Civic SiR and some CRXs)

That's why the different part number. You need a D-series, which are all SOHC.

Comment

That clarifies everything.

I was under the impression that the D16Z6 was DOHC.

Thanks again,
          Ryan

Comment

Originally posted by Keith-02Accord View Post
            Any D-series clutch and flywheel should work.

With a couple of caveats. Any D-Series from 92+ will work.

The 88-91 clutches had some variables that you do not need to deal with, like different release bearings, different sizes of the clutches and finally some had different spline sizes.

Buy a clutch for a 1992 Cvic Si.
            Pete Mills
            Cheap, fast, reliable. Choose 2.

Comment

Any recommends?

Currently I'm looking at either a Exedy, ACT or Centerforce clutch.

Comment

Originally posted by BigPune View Post
                Any recommends?

Currently I'm looking at either a Exedy, ACT or Centerforce clutch.
                PM sent.
                Pete Mills
                Cheap, fast, reliable. Choose 2.

Comment

Engine code is stamped on the block to the left (looking from the front of car) of and a little lower than the exhaust manifold. Should be at least.
                  Chris J
                  '96 Acura Integra GSR
                  '89 Honda Civic
                  '97 Subaru Legacy
                  "Ladies and gentlemen take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice."

Comment

A weird coincidence happened tonight... my clutch is buggered. Seems like the release bearing is gone. (It had been grinding for a while now, which is what prompted me looking into a new one)

Maybe I shouldn't have been asking about a new one, apparently the old one didn't like it. :P

Comment

I love exedy. ran a used one on the corvette for two years. solid. you can't go wrong with exedy, as far as I am concerned.

Comment

Working...
                      X