Brake Pads: Hawk vs Carbotech

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brake Pads: Hawk vs Carbotech

More specifically Hawk DTC70 vs Carbotech XP12 and DTC60 vs XP10.

Anyone have experience with either or both? From the data on the pads they appear to be roughly equivalent.
    2010 C63 AMG - (Calcite White)
    2000 Honda S2000 - (Silverstone)

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

Re: Brake Pads: Hawk vs Carbotech

I have used Hawk HT-10s and to some extent HT-14s. Have also used Carbotech XP12s and XP 10s on a heavy street equiped Camaro (i.e. 3670 lb including me)

Carbotechs win hands down. Won't go back to Hawks.
    Mobil 1 Time-Attack # 4, CCC Member

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Barker View Post
      I have used Hawk HT-10s and to some extent HT-14s. Have also used Carbotech XP12s and XP 10s on a heavy street equiped Camaro (i.e. 3670 lb including me)

Carbotechs win hands down. Won't go back to Hawks.
      Hey Dave, thanks for the input, much appreciated.

I believe the DTC60 & 70 are the replacement for HT-10 & 14. Any specifics as to why the Carbotech win hands down? Durability, longevity, feel etc?

I have heard people complain about the bed in procedure for Carbotech but don't know if there's any truth to the matter.

Comment

I have had a few sets of Carbotechs (2 x xp10 and 1x xp8) and LOVE them. I recommend them to everyone looking for a performance set of pads. I do not have any related experience with Hawk pads so I can't tell you any info about them.

Not a huge deal with the bed in procedure, takes 10-15 min (done late at night) and then you're set.

Comment

Originally posted by daleyc View Post
          Not a huge deal with the bed in procedure, takes 10-15 min (done late at night) and then you're set.
          I figured as much which is just like any other pad.

I've heard they're difficult/fussy to bed in more than once so it caught my attention.

Comment

Originally posted by Jasonoff View Post
            I figured as much which is just like any other pad.

I've heard they're difficult/fussy to bed in more than once so it caught my attention.
            I can try to scan the instructions and send them to you; very simple and straightforward.
            As you know, I have a Group Buy annually and I've never had anyone complain about bed in process for Carbotech.
            Frank
            sigpicFrank - OTA #259 retired. I'm in BC now!

Comment

It's not rocket science, just follow the instructions!

http://www.ctbrakes.com/faqs.asp#bedding4
              #25 summer & winter

Comment

Alot of miata guys have had problems with the carbotechs. For one, you will neeed a fresh rotor as they are no compatible with other pads friction material and will not bed in properly. Secondly if not broken in just right a bunch of people where complaining about uneven pad deposits which led to vibrations under braking.

All that being said the carbotechs are suppose to have a much more progressive pedal feel which would allow more precise threshold braking.

Comment

Hey Dave, thanks for the input, much appreciated.

I believe the DTC60 & 70 are the replacement for HT-10 & 14. Any specifics as to why the Carbotech win hands down? Durability, longevity, feel etc?

I have heard people complain about the bed in procedure for Carbotech but don't know if there's any truth to the matter.
                  Sorry, I must have missed this earlier

My experience was that the Carbotechs lasted sig longer and were much nicer to the rotors. They are also cheaper through Frank's group buy.

I found the XP-12 to be a bit twitchy but no more so than the HT-14s

Comment

Regarding the bedding process, Carbotech now offers a pre-bedded option (in response to customers baking their pads themselves in ovens or BBQs). I've used the pre-bedded XP10/8s on my Miata on a fresh set of rotors and pad wear has been even.

The other nuance is that Carbotech warns of mixing with other manufacturer compounds. Since my Miata is a DD I purchased a set of Carbotech Bobcats for the street so I don't have to swap rotors.

Comment

It's been quite awhile since I've run Hawk's (HT14 for a season, and DTC70 for an event or two), and since it was on a different car than I have now, hard to give an apples-to-apples comparison to the XP12/10 combo I'm now using.

I have had no "problems" with either brand. They've all done a pretty good job of stopping my cars (4th-gen Camaros and C6 Corvettes).

I'll be honest and say that I haven't really seen the longevity out of the XP12's as I was hoping. But that's not to say that Hawk's would last any longer ... don't know ... haven't tried them on my current car.

In either case, I'm only focussing on the FRONTS, as the REARS seem to last forever (I've changed cars before I've ever worn out the rear pads, seriously!! ).

Oh, and for BOTH sets of XP12's that I've run, I haven't stressed too much over the bedding process, and one set started with NEW rotors, the other set started on USED (street) rotors. Basically, same performance and life out of each set, so I don't think they're that fussy (or I'm just not critical enough??).

I wouldn't hesitate to run Hawk's again though.

There's my $.02, sitting on the fence .
                      OMSC
                      Current: 2011 Corvette Z06
                      Previous: '06 Z06, '10 Corvette, '93 & '02 Camaro Z28's

Comment

So to sum it up. Same s__t different pile...

Comment

Yup .
                          OMSC
                          Current: 2011 Corvette Z06
                          Previous: '06 Z06, '10 Corvette, '93 & '02 Camaro Z28's

Comment

Not exactly. My experience is that Carbotechs are cheaper, especially through Frank's group buy.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Barker View Post
                              Not exactly. My experience is that Carbotechs are cheaper, especially through Frank's group buy.
                              This is true. Not by much but it would add up over time.

Comment

Working...
                              X