Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Time Track Day

Hello All;

Looking for some advice, I recently acquired a 1987 Acura Integra LS 3 Door. It has 56000km on it and is mint. Its so much fun to drive and pulled it out of storage for the summer. A friend at work who has been doing TMS and Mosport track days for a few years now is asking me to tagg along with my car for some fun. I am looking for someone here that may have run the CRX, Civic or Integra back in the day or some advice as to were to start with any modifications to the car.
    I have aquired through this site 4 Rims with R compound tires, I am looking at a set of Hawk Front pads and some good quality rotors, this is my daily driver to work in the summer, the clutch and engine are strong So just wondering what advice any of you have. I will most likely start my first day with an instructor as well. Maybe should I learn to drive the car stock and work up from there?

Thanks
    C.

P.S. Not sure if this was the right place to post, please move if needed.

Re: First Time Track Day

Instructor for sure.
    keep it stock, even stay on street tires
    upgrade pads to quality lapping/track pads, ie Hawk HPS

have fun, keep the car in 1 piece so you can drive it to work
    sigpic

http://www.can-alignment.com http://trackmart.com

Comment

After the OTA school last weekend, I completely agree with keeping street tires on, for the first while. This is so you can hear the tires complaining and coming close to their limits, but before they lose their grip. Then you can step up to grippier high performance tires that are quieter/quiet.

Without a question upgrade to better brake pads, and get some fresh, synthetic brake fluid in the entire braking system.

Synthetic fluids in the engine + tranny is a great idea too.

Make sure the suspension is in good shape: all of the ball joints and tie rods, struts, bushings, etc.
      2006 Saturn Ion Redline

Comment

Your car is 25 years old, Give it a complete service of fluids. Flush the rad thoroughly. Check over all of the bushings, shocks, steering components, drivetrain. Break-in the engine - if it's never been over 4 000 rpm in it's life and you start running it at redline you're going to cause it to have a heart attack. So get it used to that. Have fun. Realize that things do break at the track.
        sigpicFrank - OTA #259 retired. I'm in BC now!

Comment

Originally posted by nissannx View Post
          Your car is 25 years old, Give it a complete service of fluids. Flush the rad thoroughly. Check over all of the bushings, shocks, steering components, drivetrain. Break-in the engine - if it's never been over 4 000 rpm in it's life and you start running it at redline you're going to cause it to have a heart attack. So get it used to that. Have fun. Realize that things do break at the track.
          ding ding ding...

some brake fluid with a higher boiling point would make for a much more enjoyable day!
          sigpic

Comment

Most important thing is arranging for some instruction. Just going out on the track without it is potentially very risky. (Also rarely as productive)

The Mobil 1 Time-Attack series does offer instruction in the morning sessions. Not sure about the others groups.
            Mobil 1 Time-Attack # 4, CCC Member

Comment

Thanks for the input...First time out will be with an instructor, I realize on the road and on the track are different, will keep the street tires on it as well, have a set of hawk pads coming, Just put new rotors and pads on the rear. I have thouroly check the car out as far as suspension, and such, just put four new brake flex hoses on it as well, Timing belt plugs filters all that... All fluids done with synthetic, except brake fluid. I own a 2000 Civic SiR as well and have been driving the Integra as hard as I drive it so I think the engine and trans are up to the task. Thanks Again for all the tips and the Input, am looking forward to many Track days ahead.

C

Comment

www.redpepperracing.com for all your 1st gen CRX, 3rd Gen Civic and 1st Gen Integra needs......

After that.....what racecartech said.....instructor, make sure everything is in good solid working order and a decent set of brake pads....

Rob (1987 CRX)

Comment

Well spent Saturday at TMP. Spent the morning on Street tires and with the help of a friends dad that races carts and raced in the Formula Ford series years ago I learned some great tips and picked it up very quick. Had Replaced the Rad, sway bar bushings and links, filled it with High Temp brake fluid and Hawk HPS plus pads. After a morning of laps I got quiker and finding braking points and what was the best gear to be in was fun. After lunch I put the R compounds on that I bought through a forum member... all I have to say is Holy Crap what a diffrence! I was able to really turn and had better control of the car overall, I did get it sideways in one turn after entering one turn to fast and went off into the grass, kept moving and continued on after a quick look underneath. It was a great experiance and I learned alot about my cars limits.

Just a Thanks for all the advice given on this site, and TMP was a great place to learn. I will be going back again

Chris

Comment

Working...
                  X