ABS concerns

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ABS concerns

After reading this thread, I got to thinking about the ABS system on my Impreza. I don't suspect anything's specifically wrong, but I haven't had ABS kick in on it, except when I was on snow... (because, after all, it is a Subaru, that light was red, and I had a feeling the police were nearby...)

But, should I normally expect to have a bit of brake lock..? Since I put the Continental Tires on, I've had a lot more grip. Recently, the front rotors were changed, as well as the pads. No further issues noted.

But, should I find an open parking lot and just test it out, to see whether it will kick in or not? (specifically, with the parking/emergency brake ready as a back-up, obviously) Probably better to do that *before* I go hurtling myself at those dangerous pylons ? Or, suggestions?
    #51 - Obsidian Black Pearl WRX '11
    -often seen with TLMC-

Re: ABS concerns

i've done 10+ autocross's each year since 2003 and only had 1 case where ABS was a problem

it turned out to be a seized caliper and a bad wheel bearing(on the same corner)... so the second i lifted a wheel and hit the brakes (not a good idea anyway) the ABS came on at the top of the pedal

if you keep up with your maintenance, check your brakes, have healthy bearings, you wont have an issue.

this is why we have the safety checklists

Comment

not having your ABS kick in is a sign that you have more tire grip than brake power

time to upgrade those pads!
      set tire pressures to winning!

Comment

Originally posted by thgear View Post
        not having your ABS kick in is a sign that you have more tire grip than brake power

time to upgrade those pads!
        That's what I thought; but, the pads were just replaced. My dad just went to Meineke for them. I understand that we had to get to work the next day, and couldn't spend forever shopping, but... Subaru does well with slotted rotors, right? AWD = weight = long, hard braking distances, right?
        -often seen with TLMC-

Comment

good brakes are a must

i remember 2 or 3 years ago at a PITL event a guy brought an ice racer tercel out

his brakes caught fire... actual flames

i'm sure the stuff on your car is better, but grocery brakes cant handle agressive autocross

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew_Geier View Post
            That's what I thought; but, the pads were just replaced. My dad just went to Meineke for them. I understand that we had to get to work the next day, and couldn't spend forever shopping, but... Subaru does well with slotted rotors, right? AWD = weight = long, hard braking distances, right?
            pad compound is the most improtant part of your brake setup, with fluid a distant 2nd.

the rest is cherry
            set tire pressures to winning!

Comment

Originally posted by 1337trix View Post
              i'm sure the stuff on your car is better, but grocery brakes cant handle agressive autocross
              How can I be sure? Since my dad and I share this Subaru, (because the Accent was boring,) he was the one to get the new pads and rotors.

I imagine that's what this whole thread really comes down to; are my brakes rubbish, or are my tires good?
              -often seen with TLMC-

Comment

Can't say I ever faded the OEM pads at an autocross in the WRX...

OEM quality is fine at autocross on street tires. Do you want better? Sure.

Will it cause you actual problems? No. Provided it's serviced, free and unbound.

Plenty of people running farrrrr worse than fresh parts out there, lets be honest.

You'll be fine.
                Barry

Citizen Cone Dodger

Comment

Originally posted by Saj5DJ View Post
                  Can't say I ever faded the OEM pads at an autocross in the WRX...

OEM quality is fine at autocross on street tires. Do you want better? Sure.

Will it cause you actual problems? No. Provided it's serviced, free and unbound.

Plenty of people running farrrrr worse than fresh parts out there, lets be honest.

You'll be fine.

I think so, but, the brake pads definitely aren't OEM. We've confirmed that the previous owners went through at least one set of rotors, and then we went through yet more... 160k km., so I'm thinking it fits the 80,000 km. to get new brake pads and rotors service schedules.

But, is worse than OEM quality legally sold in Canada?

I hate waking up to hearing "I changed the [front] brakes and pads on your car. You owe me $400." Sometimes research is helpful.

I researched all about the Continental tires, and I'm blown away by them; they went above my expectations at a lower cost than I expected.

Why couldn't I do the same with brakes?
                  -often seen with TLMC-

Comment

I use the term OEM loosely to include those kind of replacements.
                    Barry

Citizen Cone Dodger

Comment

Originally posted by Saj5DJ View Post
                      I use the term OEM loosely to include those kind of replacements.
                      Oh, okay. Again, I'd have been happy if I had been there to see which pads I was getting, but, since they're brand new, I don't think it's a concern. Thanks!
                      -often seen with TLMC-

Comment

Working...
                      X