Aerodynamic mods?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aerodynamic mods?

I'm a little scared of aero-mods. I think this is for good reason. Air is powerful and it's forces are dangerous, especially at speed.

It's for this reason, I put this thread out to the guys who are doing this. I need to gain some knowledge, and know how to take this on.

My car is a 2003 G35 Sedan. It's supercharged, 460 BHP. RWD. 6MT.
    There's way too much power for the rest of the car right now. Back end feels light consistantly and won't stay planted, it's spinning all the time.

I have done mods that make it slower, like a BBK with 26 lb rotors (14"), and some heavy OEM 19" rims.
    The tires are trash (Falken 452's) but I'm looking around actively to get something good for track use like a Star spec or something (heavier car).

Suspension is a luxury style coilover setup. 9/10k spring rates, linear in front, progressive in rear. I will not likely change spring rates, this is a daily driver first and a race car second. I have a 3 year old in it all the time also.

My plan with aero is to put a spoiler on the back, and eventually get a splitter on the front.
    I don't want to just slap a spoiler on, I'd like some sort of knowledge base first, and some advice from you guys, where do I even start?

I plan to get a trunk and put the spoiler on it, and only install the trunk for race duties. I'll have to drive to/from events with it on, but otherwise it will only be on at the track.

Thanks for any literature, advice, book recommendations, etc. This is on a long list of things I need to do!!

-Matt
    Infiniti G35 Sedan ~ OTA #87
    AutoSlalom #87

Re: Aerodynamic mods?

I would also not overlook alignment, suspension changes that could help you put the power down. Less rear spring rate and some toe in may help and would be effective at slow speeds as well.
    _____
    BMW E30 (#84) | Honda Civic (Chumpcar - Scrap Denial #19)

Comment

A good place to start:

http://www.amazon.ca/Competition-Car.../dp/0857330071

Comment

Not a hundred percent sure whether your 'spin' refers to some wheelspin or full-on spin-outs on-track. If wheelspin up to third gear is your issue, then it's clearly a matter of tire traction. If the car feels unstable entering the braking zone at the end of a long straight, then a rear wing is definitely a good idea. Once installed, avoid the temptation to crank it up to maximum attack until you've got a feel for its effects on balance in long, fast (4th or 5th gear) corners.
        Please PM for inquiries regarding the Shannonville Endurance Grand Prix Plenary Committee.

Comment

Thanks for the great advice!

Through speaking with others and some more research, I have decided it's best to get some better tires, an allignment, and probably a decent LSD before I even think about aero.

this is especially because I'm doing primarily Auto Slalom this season. after this weekend trying out an OTA event, that might change though!
          AutoSlalom #87

Comment

for sure figure out the mechanical grip side of it but doesn't hurt to have some aero stuff to play with and its much cheaper if you diy. google "scca Miata" in images and you will see many diy spoilers of autox sizes. but if you decide to try some aero make sure to read up on yourlimits for your class for solo here

http://scca.cdn.racersites.com/prod/...ated%205-1.pdf

and have fun

Kris.
            sigpic1992 Mazda Miata#75. see my album

Comment

I think there's a bunch of low lying fruit for you to grab first bud.

Better rubber, alignment and getting the car off the bump stops will go a long way.

See how you get on with that and try it out a bit.

Bear in mind that DDT is pretty extreme in terms of demands on traction from accelerating out of all those slow corners on it's shitty puckered asphalt.

You coming to Shannonville by the way? Loadsa sweepers...
              Barry

Citizen Cone Dodger

Comment

Stuck in AutoSlalom land until Grand Bend. Too bad as I'd have loved to get out to Shannonville, not in the cards this season unforunately!

I picked up some Enkei PF1's with RS3's from Ivano, awesome guy!
                With some light spacer and extended ARP stud work in the front, managed to squeeze the 9.5" rims and 265 rubber in there. I'm sure the square setup (265 all around) will be nice as well

I'm waiting on some time and some adjustable end links, then it'll be off to see Scott so I can raise the car and get him to line it all up.

The biggest issue I was having was lifting off the throttle in turns. A rookie mistake, but you don't know what you don't know!! Sal was keen enough to pick up on that mistake the first time out, and he helped me tremendously to get my Driver mod bumped up a bit. Which literally all but resolved my primary issue of the back end feeling so light.

Once I started applying throttle in the turns and learning some throttle control, the car planted very nicely. \

Looking very forward to getting out with new tires, etc and learning more and more and more!! Thanks to everyone for the great advice and steering me in the right direction.

-Matt
                AutoSlalom #87

Comment

Working...
                X