wheel cleaner for caked on track pad dust

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wheel cleaner for caked on track pad dust

is there a wheel cleaner that removes caked on track pad/rotor dust?

let my car sit with DTC-60 dust on the wheels, and some of it is just
    stuck on

looking for a wheel cleaner product

Re: wheel cleaner for caked on track pad dust

Sonax - Probably the best out there for that - Now, you may need to scrub a little, but well worth it

JRP has it.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    2014 Solo2 Car #46

Comment

thanks man

i don't mind scrub'n a little..

i just don't want to spend 1 hour per wheel trying to get it back to the way it was before track use

Comment

Thanks for the heads up Andrew!!!

Got my order today tried out the SONAX full effect wheel cleaner

Did the trick.. seems like it pulls or melts the embedded track pad/rotor
        Stuff that is caked into the finish

Needed some toothbrush help.. but got it back

Ill try to post before and after pics

SONAX= track wheels best friend

(I'd say degreaser/cleaner type does a good job for regular junk. But I think
        SONAX is designed more for brake & rotor dust issues)

After my attempt to clean them prior to this thread. . I was thinking
        Rattlecan

Comment

i tried a bunch of products.. from wd40, simple green, bug and tar remover
          two different wheel cleaner products .. and that's what I was left with.. a clean dirty looking wheel (thats when i thought of taking a rattle can to it, and changing the colour) then posted this tread

two pics on the bottom.. cleaned by Sonax with some toothbrush action
          (could have did a better job on the lug holes better.. but the nuts cover hide that part)

anyhow.... the sonax stuff is the best i've tried so far
          Attached Files

Comment

FWIW, the guy that powdercoated my wheels suggested Sonax as well as it gets rid of the dust without harming the coating.

Comment

I've never used anything as good as Sonax in my life. Highly recommended.
              It did a good number on even Hawk Blue 9012 dust cake on for a year...
              2006 Saturn Ion Redline

Comment

Sonax is nothing compared to this for caked on stuff. It starts dissolving the cake as you apply it with your fingers.

Even Senna confessed he occasionally went too far, as was the case in qualifying for the 1988 Monaco Grand Prix, where he became a passenger on a surreal ride into the unknown. Already on pole, he went faster and faster and was eventually over two seconds quicker than Prost in an identical McLaren. "Suddenly, it frightened me," Ayrton said, "because I realised I was well beyond my conscious understanding. I drove back slowly to the pits and did not go out anymore that day."

Comment

Originally posted by Greg F View Post
                  Sonax is nothing compared to this for caked on stuff. It starts dissolving the cake as you apply it with your fingers.

what pad/compound were you working with in your case

hand cleaner did nothing with Track compound/rotor caked on stuff (in my case) i tried a bunch of things.. was almost going to try drano
                  then gave my head a shake

Comment

Originally posted by Viperoni View Post
                    I've never used anything as good as Sonax in my life. Highly recommended.
                    It did a good number on even Hawk Blue 9012 dust cake on for a year...
                    i've been careful since i felt BLUE love

http://www.casc.on.ca/forums/showthr...ight=hawk+blue

i'm surprised there aren't more posts on this forum regarding sonax..i'm sure many people have shared the same experience with
                    trackpad/rotor cleaning challenges
                    Last edited by finboy; 09-30-2013, 12:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by finboy View Post
                      what pad/compound were you working with in your case

hand cleaner did nothing with Track compound/rotor caked on stuff (in my case) i tried a bunch of things.. was almost going to try drano
                      then gave my head a shake
                      Carbotech XP10
                      Even Senna confessed he occasionally went too far, as was the case in qualifying for the 1988 Monaco Grand Prix, where he became a passenger on a surreal ride into the unknown. Already on pole, he went faster and faster and was eventually over two seconds quicker than Prost in an identical McLaren. "Suddenly, it frightened me," Ayrton said, "because I realised I was well beyond my conscious understanding. I drove back slowly to the pits and did not go out anymore that day."

Comment

aren't Carbotech pads in general.. more rotor friendly vs Hawk pads?

Comment

If youre in a jam, BMW wheel cleaner from any dealership is just re-labeled Sonax!

Comment

Originally posted by finboy View Post
                            aren't Carbotech pads in general.. more rotor friendly vs Hawk pads?
                            Yes, and that might be why it didn't work for your case.

I left my dust to cake on over the winter and couldn't get it off no matter what I tried. Then I tried a little of that hand cleaner that I had laying around and it worked. I remember going to the store to get more, and there were lots of different types, with different primary chemicals. It's been a few months since I looked at the different ones, but I think this is one of the only ones that is petroleum based, and that's why it works better at dissolving carbon-based compounds. That's my theory, anyway.

Comment

Mind you, I found the Sonax worked great when the dust hadn't been baked on.

Comment

Working...
                              X