Help me select my next tire please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help me select my next tire please

For the last 6 years or so I have used a few different tires. All I have purchased used due to budget constraints but I am now interested in investing in some new tires. Since it is a large purchase for me, I want to be sure I get it right the first time.

The used tires I have tried in the past have been Toyo RA-1 (92 Mustang coupe), BFG G-Force R1 (85 Mustang Saleen), Kumho V710, Hoosier Cup and recently I borrowed some NT-05 (2003 Mustang). Unfortunately, since I was getting them previously enjoyed they were at the end of their lifespan and so I'm not sure I was really able to experience them at their peak and thus make an informed decision.

My experience: I have been lapping (never competitive racing or time attack) for 15 years. I usually try to get out to 4 events each year across TMP, DDT and CTMP GP. I'm at the point where I can run consistently, nearly all laps without traffic or slowing to allow a pass can be run within a 1 second span. Yesterday at CTMP GP on NT-05s I ran all my clear laps between 1:45-1:46.

My car: I have a 2003 Mustang Mach1. No hp mods at all so it is about 275hp at the wheels. Suspension includes front coilovers on Bilstein HDs with 300lb springs, rear torque arm, panhard bar, Maximum Motorsports "track spec" torque arm springs. These front and rear springs are the stiffest that Maximum Motorsports offer for the Mustang suspension. Brakes are EBC slotted rotors and EBC Red pads up front and factory Cobra brakes and pads in the rear. 17" Steeda Ultralite wheels suited for 275 wide tires.

I am looking for a premium r-comp tire, unless advice here points me in a different direction. I do not intend to compete so PiPs are not too important to me. Ideally one that has some longevity so I can get a few seasons out of them. What can I expect to get from a new tire - is say 12 events with a total of 60 on track sessions realistic? that would get me through maybe 4 seasons. I change tires at the track so I do not need anything street legal to get me too and from. I run Nitto NT555 on the street.

Thanks in advance for the help.
    Last edited by Not4you; 07-15-2014, 12:21 PM.
    Not4You
    2003 Mustang Mach1

Re: Help me select my next tire please

If you hang around with the Time Attack crowd you'd find the current favourites are the Dunlop Direzza ZII and the BFG Rival but it's a moving target every year! Those are considered street tires so not sure if you're interested in them or not.
    A "near-R" favourite is the Nitto NT01 but I'd also look at the Hankook Ventus TD, I'm surprised they haven't shown up at a Time Attack weekend yet!
    http://www.ventustd.com/index.php
    Or, just get some slicks and keep changing front wheel bearings.
    Perry
    PS, you should have come out with Kelly or myself (on Monday) to see how the Dunlops performed.
    #25 summer & winter

Comment

If you want an R-comp that should last, try the NT-01.
      '01 Mustang Bullitt
      '07 Acura TL-S
      '10 F150 S/Crew

Comment

Thanks guys. I see the Ventus TD has a max width of 255 for a 17 inch wheel. I have been using 275s on my track wheels for this car. Is there a notable difference between the two sizes on a new edge mustang? I ran 255 on my foxbodies but they were on narrower 16 inch wheels.

------

I hardly left my spot in the paddock all day on Monday so I didn't really get around to meet new folks. I wish I had. It seems when I wasnt changing tires I was just resting under the canopy. The old Hoosiers that I had started to delaminate (front driver side) so I swapped it with the rear passenger and tried again. Same thing happened - front left started peeling. I knew it was a risk to try to get one more event out of them. So after the second morning session I swapped all 4, taking a friend's NT-05s after his car blew the motor (red cobra clone). I managed to get a full day in but I now need to return his and replace mine

I was in the red Mach1 in the third group ... the quieter one.
        Last edited by Not4you; 07-15-2014, 11:04 PM.
        Not4You
        2003 Mustang Mach1

Comment

Nitto NT01Rs are great, www.americanmuscle.com has great prices. I run 255 fronts and 315 rears. Switching to Toyo R888 next for a change. I love the Nittos though, they've lasted over 500 laps of CTMP so far and still holding strong.
          Scott - 99 Mustang (480RWHP + 470RWTQ)

Comment

Originally posted by MEANMCHN View Post
            Nitto NT01Rs are great, www.americanmuscle.com has great prices. I run 255 fronts and 315 rears. Switching to Toyo R888 next for a change. I love the Nittos though, they've lasted over 500 laps of CTMP so far and still holding strong.
            I've heard and read that a non-staggered set-up is best for tracking. I run 275f/315r on the street but have always stayed the same on all corners for track tires. what are the pros/cons with your set up?
            Not4You
            2003 Mustang Mach1

Comment

I would highly suggest either the Toyo RA-1 (still quite available in the states through a number of distributors but NOT available in Canada) or the Nitto NT01. I believe sponsor Braiden tire can get NT01s and they are much better to deal with than Kaltire. The Toyo will squirm a bit more at full tread depth but is very reliable and consistent. Rumour has it that the Nitto NT01 is the same tire (Nitto is a subsidiary of Toyo) with a bit less tread depth and different tread pattern.

There tires will far outlast and be more consistent than any "premium" R comp such as a Hoosier or BFG R1. They won't be as fast but you mention you are not competing anyway.

Some of the really good street tires in some hands (not mine ) can match the all out performance of either the Toyo or the NT01 but they can't do it lap after lap.
              Mobil 1 Time-Attack # 4, CCC Member

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Barker View Post
                I would highly suggest either the Toyo RA-1 (still quite available in the states through a number of distributors but NOT available in Canada) or the Nitto NT01. I believe sponsor Braiden tire can get NT01s and they are much better to deal with than Kaltire. The Toyo will squirm a bit more at full tread depth but is very reliable and consistent. Rumour has it that the Nitto NT01 is the same tire (Nitto is a subsidiary of Toyo) with a bit less tread depth and different tread pattern.

There tires will far outlast and be more consistent than any "premium" R comp such as a Hoosier or BFG R1. They won't be as fast but you mention you are not competing anyway.

Some of the really good street tires in some hands (not mine ) can match the all out performance of either the Toyo or the NT01 but they can't do it lap after lap.
                So are the NT-01 tires somewhere in between the NT-05s I used Monday and the Hoosier Cups I had before in terms of grip and longevity??
                Not4You
                2003 Mustang Mach1

Comment

I have been getting my NT-01's from Discount Tire Direct shipped to the nearest border crossing then picking them up. $212/tire for 275/40/17 free shipping within US. They will NOT ship NT-01's to Canada unfortunately.
                  '01 Mustang Bullitt
                  '07 Acura TL-S
                  '10 F150 S/Crew

Comment

Originally posted by Not4you View Post
                    So are the NT-01 tires somewhere in between the NT-05s I used Monday and the Hoosier Cups I had before in terms of grip and longevity??
                    Pretty much, at this point I would say get the NT01's and enjoy them. Only downside is they get noisy as they wear down.
                    Best bet re: price is probably to get them from Discount Tire and ship to Buffalo or check with Steeda in Milton to see what they can do for you
                    #25 summer & winter

Comment

Originally posted by Not4you View Post
                      I think there are street tires out there now that are faster than NT05s. The Hoosier Cup tires that you bought, if they were used, were already past their peak. Not really sure how long some of the good streets will last but the NT01 will easily out last any Hoosier and more consistently as well.
                      Mobil 1 Time-Attack # 4, CCC Member

Comment

The Hoosiers I had were pretty near the end. I got 3 events out of them with decent grip (about 15 on track sessions total). the second last time out they fell off and were a handful so I knew going into Monday that there was a chance I'd be looking for replacements. Thankfully I managed to get the NT-05s at lunch to save my afternoon.
                        Not4You
                        2003 Mustang Mach1

Comment

Mustangs are heavy so get a tire that takes abuse well. I had the rs3s, abused them pretty hard, and they were good through their lifespan. New version of those should be better. 255 40 17 is what I had. The z2s seem to be very quick which would be my other pick.
                          2010 to 2013 OTA competitor with a Honda, Ford, and a BMW.

Comment

I use the Nitto NT01 tires on my Mustang Fox Body that I take to lapping/track days, nice tires and will last proportionate to the amount of abuse you inflict on them. I am currently using the 245 size on 8 inch wide 17 inch rims, but am planning to buy some 9 inch rims and go to a bigger 275 size tire (my car only make around 250 HP so I do not want to go too big without the necessary power to turn them).

I gave up on Kal Tire (and the people/distributor in Vancouver too), I order mine directly from the U.S. (1010 Tire) who always have them in stock and get them to me in just a few days at a decent price; I get them mounted and balanced at Speedstars in Markham (great people, nice clean shop).

I think Nitto needs to rethink their R spec tire dealer network in Canada, in my opinion.

Have fun, keep the rubber side down.
                            sigpic
                            No one is interested in all the things you didn't do !

Comment

BTW,

dial in a lot of extra negative camber when you put those Nittos on or you may get a lot of wear on the outside of the front tires and ruin a good pair of tires quickly.

At the moment I am running 2.5 to 3 degrees, with stock A-Arms, which is the maximum I can with the stock setup, this really helped tire wear on the front. Tire wear can be brutal at Shannonville, so the extra camber will help keep your expenses down there (not to mention rotor and pad wear there too); not so much of a worry at CTMP (but there are plenty of other things to get your attention there).

Good luck with your car sir, have fun.
                              sigpic
                              No one is interested in all the things you didn't do !

Comment

Working...
                              X