Tire Contact Surface to Wheel Width Ratio

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tire Contact Surface to Wheel Width Ratio

I have been asked to perform some pre-market testing of a new line of race tires that have been extremely successful in another continent and are going to be marketed in North America shortly. It has been a long time since I have run a car on Bias Ply race slicks and was wondering if some of the older competitors here or maybe some of the GT1/2 guys who are running Goodyear race slicks can offer me some advice. Should the rim width be the same as the contact surface or can it be slightly narrower? Should it be the same width as the outermost bulge of the sidewall?

They have given me all kinds of set-up and operating information, it just seems that there is a variance between the stated width of the tire and the actual width. They are offering to send in an actual Race Engineer to work with the team, but I want to do some preliminary testing before I ask for that assistance. That's why I am asking trying to determine what is correct and if I need to go out and purchase a bunch of new wheels, LOL.

Thanks

Eric
    #23 GT4 Cougar and #24 GT4 RX7

sigpic

Re: Tire Contact Surface to Wheel Width Ratio

Actually, I think I have found an answer on the Dunlop site. They make Cross Ply Sedan Race tires and all the sizes and ratios seem to fit.

I think we are good to go.

Now I just need a place to mount them at a reasonable price.

Eric
    #23 GT4 Cougar and #24 GT4 RX7

sigpic

Comment

Working...
    X