Rear mount light - stud class

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear mount light - stud class

Last year there was talk and a test vehicle with a rear mounted fog light on the roof.

I found this light to be great for visibility however it was aimed a little low and right in the drivers eyes causing too much brightness at times.(This is a simple adjustment so really thats not an issue to a good thing.)

Has there been any talk about having this light mandatory for the stud class only where visibility is the worst? Or at least lets make it a strong suggestion for this year and mandatory for next?
    Jeff Lehmann, Burlington ON
    2005 Outback
    2015 Soul

Re: Rear mount light - stud class

Originally posted by MAXFLOW2 View Post
    Last year there was talk and a test vehicle with a rear mounted fog light on the roof.

I found this light to be great for visibility however it was aimed a little low and right in the drivers eyes causing too much brightness at times.(This is a simple adjustment so really thats not an issue to a good thing.)

Has there been any talk about having this light mandatory for the stud class only where visibility is the worst? Or at least lets make it a strong suggestion for this year and mandatory for next?

Yes, it was discussed and tested. If I remember correctly, there were a number of different views from the stud drivers on it. Some, like yourself, said it was visible but blinding, others said they couldn't really see it. I don't think it was taken to the next level. It can be something that's discussed again at the spring meeting and a conclusion can be drawn from there.
    Ice Race Director

Comment

Jeff,

go to princess and throw one on.

When jimmy tested his i think he had it inside the back window...i don't like that idea.

Put it on the back edge of the roof.

however, as i said last year...someone needs to try side marker lights.
      Chris
      Old School Motorsports

Comment

Originally posted by Do It Sidewayz View Post
        Jeff,

go to princess and throw one on.

When jimmy tested his i think he had it inside the back window...i don't like that idea.

Put it on the back edge of the roof.

however, as i said last year...someone needs to try side marker lights.
        Ya I'm putting something on thats brighter. My light last year was barely visible.

Side markers I disagree. They are at best 5 watts for the brighter 168 peanut bulb. Kinda useless. Plus if they are on the outside of the car they will just get smashed off by passing awd racers .
        2005 Outback
        2015 Soul

Comment

Ya I'm putting something on thats brighter. My light last year was barely visible.

Side markers I disagree. They are at best 5 watts for the brighter 168 peanut bulb. Kinda useless. Plus if they are on the outside of the car they will just get smashed off by passing awd racers .

I think what Chris meant by 'side marker lights' was not actually a side marker light, but a side 'mounted' light such as the rear facing light you were inquiring about. There was talk last year to putting a 'side facing' light as well. Lets face it, most of the stud cars are going sideways just as much as they are going forward...LOL I think it was the visibility issue of a car that's drifting sideways that was the point.
          Ice Race Director

Comment

Originally posted by S.S.NITEMARE View Post
            I think what Chris meant by 'side marker lights' was not actually a side marker light, but a side 'mounted' light such as the rear facing light you were inquiring about. There was talk last year to putting a 'side facing' light as well. Lets face it, most of the stud cars are going sideways just as much as they are going forward...LOL I think it was the visibility issue of a car that's drifting sideways that was the point.
            Ok so something in the rear side window maybe but not a 50 watt unit like Jimmy had last year. It really was too bright. Maybe make the bulbs a 35 watt max for the sides and rear and if using actual fogs or driving lights ensure they are not aimed at the drivers eyeline. Poor visibility is one thing but being blinded is the worst.
            2005 Outback
            2015 Soul

Comment

Ok so something in the rear side window maybe but not a 50 watt unit like Jimmy had last year. It really was too bright. Maybe make the bulbs a 35 watt max for the sides and rear and if using actual fogs or driving lights ensure they are not aimed at the drivers eyeline. Poor visibility is one thing but being blinded is the worst.
              i'll see if i can find them again. but the Quebec guys run a rear facing light, and have all sorts of dimensions and so on for it (wattage, mounting location, blah blah blah)
              Chris
              Old School Motorsports

Comment

This is why I brought up the headlight issue. For better visibility. Maybe just make Headlights mandatory just for the STUD class as that class creates a lot of snow/ice spray and they are more able to avoid snow banks better than the guys in rubber to ice.(well at least most of them. *cough Jeff*

This is especially helpful if someone spins out and is facing the opposite direction on the track. The cars mid pack would be able spot the car sooner and drivers could react accordingly.

again my $0.02

Comment

I'm mounting two rear mount lights.. One for good and one for bad visibility.

Comment

i'm bad with french, but i can't find ice race regs on their website anymore. i know they had them up there a couple years ago.

but from memory, every car basically had a amber fog light on the roof. Not completely sure on the aming though.
                    Chris
                    Old School Motorsports

Comment

Originally posted by TonyV View Post

... This is especially helpful if someone spins out and is facing the opposite direction on the track.....
                      Stud cars like any ice racer spend a lot of their time pointing in any direction but their intended line of travel. In order to be highly visible at all times the roof mounted light therefore must be rotating. This of course has been thought of before and has been used by all sorts of emergency vehicles for decades. Since this is a snowy environment lets get the Blue Flashing light like is used on all snow removal equipment that does not aim in one direction but instead either rotates of flashes but for sure can be seen from all directions regardless of the vehicle's orientation. And, and, and ... it should definitely be roof mounted - up above any snow/spray, possibly even on a 2 to 3 foot high bracket .... LMAO!!!
                      picture to follow ....
                      sigpic SACEWE!!!
                      Minden House, S/\Ctionizer
                      Car #24

Comment

Originally posted by S.S.NITEMARE View Post
                        If I remember correctly, there were a number of different views from the stud drivers on it. Some, like yourself, said it was visible but blinding, others said they couldn't really see it.
                        Hi Guys,

A.M.E.C. has been running rear facing amber fog lights [w/standard 55 watt bulbs] on studded cars for over 20 years. I have never heard anyone say they were blinded by them. I saw someone mention that they had one inside their rear window. We don't allow that. It needs to be mounted outside, above the taillights, or on the roof.

Additionally, our fastest classes, Modifieds and Super Modifieds, use forward facing white fog lights to warn the lower class cars that they are about to be lapped by a much faster car from behind. They are not considered "get out of my way" lights, but rather, "hold your line and I'll get around you when it's safe" lights.
                        Originally posted by TonyV View Post
                        Maybe just make Headlights mandatory just for the STUD class as that class creates a lot of snow/ice spray and they are more able to avoid snow banks. This is especially helpful if someone spins out and is facing the opposite direction on the track.
                        That's a good idea. Our studded classes don't generally have headlights, but all of our Street Legal class cars run with their headlights on during the races.
                        Michael Kamm

Comment

Originally posted by angus macsac View Post
                          Stud cars like any ice racer spend a lot of their time pointing in any direction but their intended line of travel. In order to be highly visible at all times the roof mounted light therefore must be rotating. This of course has been thought of before and has been used by all sorts of emergency vehicles for decades. Since this is a snowy environment lets get the Blue Flashing light like is used on all snow removal equipment that does not aim in one direction but instead either rotates of flashes but for sure can be seen from all directions regardless of the vehicle's orientation. And, and, and ... it should definitely be roof mounted - up above any snow/spray, possibly even on a 2 to 3 foot high bracket .... LMAO!!!
                          picture to follow ....
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by angus macsac; 12-29-2006, 11:07 AM.
                          sigpic SACEWE!!!
                          Car #24

Comment

Here one can see the advantage of high mount location as flashing blue strobe light can still be seen well above any snow spray .....
                            Attached Files
                            sigpic SACEWE!!!
                            Car #24

Comment

Gees' Scott! ... Do you ever get away from that 'puter!?
                              Ice Racing will always be a Black art! So ... In order to finish first, ... first you must Finish!

CASC-OR Ice Race Director
                              Toronto Autosport Club Ice Race Organizer
                              Minden Kin Club Member
                              District 8 Secretary Kin Canada
                              Car Number 1
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X