Proposed new stud tire rule...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Proposed new stud tire rule...

Stud class drivers had a meeting last Saturday- you may have noticed the Rockcliffe was a little less boisterous...

The suggestion for studded tires for 2005 allows for some choices now. This is the proposed rule change to be voted on next week...

1. All classes will have to run 18 studs per foot, if using the current screws, and tighten the screws down to 5 mm height (from 7mm currently). This allows racers to modify their current tires to work for next season.

2. Menard prestud tires at 28 studs per foot will be allowed.Straight pin style approx 5mm stud height as produced by the manufacturer.

3. Street stud tires will be allowed at 38 studs per foot, with a pin height of 2-3 mm's as currently produced. More info on these tires is being sought for this weekends general meeting.

So now there are some options...You can buy some pre studded tires , bolt them on and play, or modify your existing tires so they dont tear- up the ice as much.

All the studded guys seemed to be in agreement to this outcome- It saves the track and allows for new stud entrants to buy pre-studded tires and not have to spend all that time building tires.

A great step forward to increase the numbers of competitors in the stud classes, and yet keep the track wear down to a more manageable level.

Tony
    "Got a Dent or a Ding? Give us a Ring"
    Auto Cosmetic.Com- Your #1 choice in Paintless Dent Removal
    Lease coming due?
    Save hundreds in repair costs- we fix the dents without bodywork or repainting!
    416 948 4554
    Mississauga, Vaughn and Scarborough locations

I missed that meeting and will miss the next one as well.

Does this mean it will be possible to race the menards as delivered by the manufacturer regardless of various tire sizes or is there a spec tire ie everyone runs 185/70-14?

I thought there was a considerable difference in lap times (2-3 seconds per lap) between current screw type and menards. Is it expected that the 5mm depth for both and higher number of studs on the menards going to equalize this difference?

I can't see anyone being competitive with street studs compared to the other two options with 2-3mm studs that fall out.

Comment

Originally posted by RedRabbit Racer
      I missed that meeting and will miss the next one as well.

Does this mean it will be possible to race the menards as delivered by the manufacturer regardless of various tire sizes or is there a spec tire ie everyone runs 185/70-14?

I thought there was a considerable difference in lap times (2-3 seconds per lap) between current screw type and menards. Is it expected that the 5mm depth for both and higher number of studs on the menards going to equalize this difference?

I can't see anyone being competitive with street studs compared to the other two options with 2-3mm studs that fall out.
      Yes you will be able to run Menards as delivered- currently @ 28 studs per foot.
      They do have different wheel sizes available 13"- 15"
      It seems as though the 13" size will be the most popular for the FWD cars as it is already a very tall tire and the 14" tire is at 26" diameter which is too tall for many small cars. All the sizing numbers will still have to be confirmed.

it is hoped that reducing the number of screws in the tire to 18 per foot for all classes plus shortening the screws to 5 mm, which is the same height as a Menard will equalize the two tires.

The street stud tire is still an unknown at this point. it must be determined if there is currently a stud that does not fall out and a tire that is made to hold 38 per foot. It seemed from the discussion that this is possible.
      I understood that Doug Martin was to talk to the Quebec guys - who run a street stud class- and get some real data as to their reliability and performance. Jeff Wenzel also mentioned to G. Biral that he could put together street stud packages through his store.

You should jot down your input and email it to Steve Robson or myself and it can be brought up on Sunday...

Tony
      Lease coming due?
      416 948 4554

Comment

It sounds ok...but i don't know if it's gonna work.

You'll probably find that our screws at 4-5 MM's will probably tear up more track....but i guess we will see.

on the Menards....well...Tony...tell me how the heck you are going to get a 26 inch Tire in your wheel wells on the GTX!!!

I know that the tires Doug is running on his are VERY close to rubbing in the front (like 1/4 inch) No way he can get a 26 inch tire in there.

Only option would be to go and find a 323 and swap over the brakes
        Chris
        Old School Motorsports

Comment

Originally posted by Do It Sidewayz
          It sounds ok...but i don't know if it's gonna work.

You'll probably find that our screws at 4-5 MM's will probably tear up more track....but i guess we will see.

on the Menards....well...Tony...tell me how the heck you are going to get a 26 inch Tire in your wheel wells on the GTX!!!

I know that the tires Doug is running on his are VERY close to rubbing in the front (like 1/4 inch) No way he can get a 26 inch tire in there.

Only option would be to go and find a 323 and swap over the brakes
          Chris:

Tom Prentice seemed to think that a shorter stud would shatter less of the ice on impact on the really cold days ,and since ALL the cars will be cut back to 18 studs per foot, that means less ice damage per tire revolution.
          Only time will tell on this one- but something has to be done- look at what happened to the track this weekend. The rut at the kink was so deep that most cars were grinding their lower control arms on it. Not to mention those dirt patches at either end...

As to the Menards, 25" is as big as I want to go on O.D. so I'm going to look for some kind of 13" wheel that will clear the calipers, and use the smaller size Menard. As you suggest, switching to smaller brakes could work too...

Looks like the door has been thrown open for options on stud tires now, so it'll be a whole new ball game next season...

Tony
          Lease coming due?
          416 948 4554

Comment

Tony

Try the toyota tercel wheels from 82 to 84 they are 4 on 4.5 and have a wild offset.
            Ice Racing will always be a Black art! So ... In order to finish first, ... first you must Finish!

CASC-OR Ice Race Director
            Toronto Autosport Club Ice Race Organizer
            Minden Kin Club Member
            District 8 Secretary Kin Canada
            Car Number 1
            sigpic

Comment

Re: Tony

Originally posted by Champ98
              Try the toyota tercel wheels from 82 to 84 they are 4 on 4.5 and have a wild offset.
              Thanks Andy, I'll look into it..

Tony
              Lease coming due?
              416 948 4554

Comment

Thanks Tony and to all the other stud class drivers for finally agreeing on a spec tire. Now I know of at least 3 more stud entries for next year. One I think will be a beamer. No, not me, studs frighten me.
                "Love thine enemies, it scares the hell out of them"
                "You never have enough gas until you're on fire!" Ken Schrader NSCS

Comment

Thanks to Tony and others for coming up with altenatives,who knows I might run the corolla is studs next year.
                  Have to see if the drift thing pans out this summer.

Comment

Working...
                  X