Anyone using the copper seals with their double flare brake line fittings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone using the copper seals with their double flare brake line fittings

When I make up double flare brake lines using 1/4 inch tubing and brass fittings/connectors I sometimes get weeping that can be difficult to address, I was told some people use annealed copper flair shaped seals that really cure the weeping.

Is anyone using these seals, is there any downside to using them, are they available anywhere in the GTA ?

I did a search and supposedly they are available through Acklands/Grainger but they can be tricky to deal with, hopefully someone else has them locally if they work.
    sigpic
    No one is interested in all the things you didn't do !

David, not sure if these will work as flare angle may be different....have used these for damaged AN fittings...

https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/pr...p?Product=3202

Comment

Thank you for the reply bumblebee, I was aware of those seals from SECO but unfortunately they are 37 degree (my brake fittings are 45 degree), and the SECO seals have a lip on the big side of the cone shape that concerns me when it comes to a seal on brake fittings per se.

I did contact SECO last week to ask if they had any seals in 45 degree size, without the lip, still awaiting a reply from them.

I plan to visit the Acklands/Grainger people this week and buy a few of the Parker 45 degree seals they supposedly sell, we shall see.

Thanks again.
      sigpic

Comment

My goodness I found out that the Parker copper seals are sold in Pickering where I live, I have ordered a dozen and should have them by this coming Friday, I will post again after I try one out.
        sigpic

Comment

Why are your flares leaking? Are you sure there isn't some issue with your flaring tool or tubing? Are you cutting the tube perfectly square and deburring all the tube edges? It doesn't take much of a burr to make them leak, but it shouldn't be super difficult really. Maybe you could try some softer tubing or get them done by a hydraulic shop? I guess the seals would be nice to have in your bag of tricks at the track.
          Another quality post from Black Dwarf Racing

Comment

Good points indeed kmorris, all of the connections to store bought items (e.g. rubber flex lines to the wheels, junction at the differential, ports on the master cylinder) do not leak at all, I did use two aftermarket brass fittings and one is fine and the other weeps unless I tighten it really tight (which collapses some of the internal brass from what I see). I would prefer that there is no leak with the brass fittings without having to use the strength of Hercules to tighten them.

I have a 45 degree flare tool from Matco that does the job most of the time but it is not perfect (but good enough for what I do). Other than the two lines on the differential I made the rest myself using the originals as a guide, they turned out really nice if I do say so myself.

I am told that the copper seals work really well (in particular with aftermarket brass fittings) and many high end custom shops use them for both steel and stainless lines, we shall see.

The copper seals are less than a dollar each btw, I ordered a dozen (yes I am a big spender, lol).
            Last edited by DavidSim; 06-11-2019, 01:01 PM.
            sigpic

Comment

Working...
            X