Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: brake pad choice..

Originally posted by haikara2308 View Post
    Matt, you should look at DTC60 or HT10 if you plan to still run Hawk pads, your RS3s will be fine with them lol. I was going to run either one of those this year but because of my budget I had to cheap out and get the hp+ instead. The DTC60s may need too much heat though to work for autocross, something to keep in mind.
    Dtc60's require almost no heat at all to work well. I was so impressed I stopped swapping pads and just ran my dtc60's on the street!
    sigpic

Comment

Thanks for the great advice everyone.

Will I don't use ABS at the track its dangerous as hell.
      Infiniti G35 Sedan ~ OTA #87
      AutoSlalom #87

Comment

Would the DTC60 work well on a Mustang? I currently use HP+ for track and autocross and they seem to hold up well. Any other pads good for track use on heavier cars?
        '01 Mustang Bullitt
        '07 Acura TL-S
        '10 F150 S/Crew

Comment

Originally posted by Bullitt2655 View Post
          Would the DTC60 work well on a Mustang? I currently use HP+ for track and autocross and they seem to hold up well. Any other pads good for track use on heavier cars?
          I have not tried DTC60, but like you, I have used HP+ and had no problem with them on my Mustang. I have also used Carbotech XP10 & XP8 and they're good too.
          Kelly B. GT Class Competitor 2011 - 2014
          OTA Director 2015
          ASN/FIA Committee 2015

Comment

Where does everyone buy thier Carbotechs from?

Comment

Originally posted by iamthewheelman View Post
              Where does everyone buy thier Carbotechs from?
              Frank Ewald!
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by KLZEMX6 View Post
                Frank Ewald!
                LOL! Thanks, Jimmy!
                There are a couple of places but I do have a long standing arrangement with Carbotech. My group buy is over for this year, but I can get product anytime. Just not at the group buy discount.
                sigpicFrank - OTA #259 retired. I'm in BC now!

Comment

Originally posted by Bullitt2655 View Post
                  Carbotech's for my S197, have used both XP10 and XP12 compounds, very rotor friendly
                  Oh yeah, they stop well too!
                  #25 summer & winter

Comment

Originally posted by Tunermax View Post
                    Will I don't use ABS at the track its dangerous as hell.
                    Missed this until now... how is it dangerous as hell? Does the G35 do something strange with ABS? Even the hardcore FRS/BRZ guys that have everything else disabled (including EBFD) leave ABS alone.

Comment

Originally posted by wparsons View Post
                      Missed this until now... how is it dangerous as hell? Does the G35 do something strange with ABS? Even the hardcore FRS/BRZ guys that have everything else disabled (including EBFD) leave ABS alone.
                      ABS system is calibrated based on stock brakes and tires, etc. Upgrading these components as I have and most of us have puts the system outside its calibrated zone. For my car personally, that means the ABS engages before it's needed, which is a complete loss of braking and is extremely dangerous, especially at AutoX coming into a stop box.
                      I've had it happen and it's terrifying. Never again. Coming into a stop box and the brakes just cut out completely and I blew through it. I was forced to turn into the pits at speed to avoid bystanders
                      AutoSlalom #87

Comment

ABS system is calibrated based on stock brakes and tires, etc. Upgrading these components as I have and most of us have puts the system outside its calibrated zone. For my car personally, that means the ABS engages before it's needed, which is a complete loss of braking and is extremely dangerous, especially at AutoX coming into a stop box.
                        I've had it happen and it's terrifying. Never again. Coming into a stop box and the brakes just cut out completely and I blew through it. I was forced to turn into the pits at speed to avoid bystanders
                        Are you sure nothing is malfunctioning in the system? That doesn't seem normal to me.

ABS should only be using wheel speed sensors to detect if a wheel is locked up, not using anything g based to determine if you're outside the maximum stock braking force. If it used that, then it wouldn't work on different surfaces.

I can't say for sure on your car, but I know the only issues with ABS on my car (haven't experienced it personally, just read about it from FAST guys in the US) is if you're running very different pad compounds front and rear, the ECU gets confused by the split in pressure and goes into "ice mode" when you're trail braking hard. I've never had it happen, and don't know of anyone that has had it happen running the same pad compounds at all four corners. And even the guys that have had the issue don't disable ABS, they just disable EBFD.

Comment

Originally posted by wparsons View Post
                          Are you sure nothing is malfunctioning in the system? That doesn't seem normal to me.

ABS should only be using wheel speed sensors to detect if a wheel is locked up, not using anything g based to determine if you're outside the maximum stock braking force. If it used that, then it wouldn't work on different surfaces.

I can't say for sure on your car, but I know the only issues with ABS on my car (haven't experienced it personally, just read about it from FAST guys in the US) is if you're running very different pad compounds front and rear, the ECU gets confused by the split in pressure and goes into "ice mode" when you're trail braking hard. I've never had it happen, and don't know of anyone that has had it happen running the same pad compounds at all four corners. And even the guys that have had the issue don't disable ABS, they just disable EBFD.
                          It has happened to me and many E36 owners who track their cars, regardless of brake pad choice. Ice mode is very real, and vey scary(the first time it happens), but thankfully not a common occurrence. After driving my car for two seasons, I have been able to adapt to it and react quick enough to "reset" the system to regain braking ability when and if it happens. The proper was of dealing with it is to get off the pedal and then immediately back on - similar to pumping the pedal if you feel you may have lost your brakes entering a braking zone. I hope everyone experiences this once in a low speed environment so they know what to expect - like I said, it is scary the first time it ever happens...
                          Corey Whiteman

Comment

Originally posted by 3wheeler View Post
                            It has happened to me and many E36 owners who track their cars, regardless of brake pad choice. Ice mode is very real, and vey scary(the first time it happens), but thankfully not a common occurrence. After driving my car for two seasons, I have been able to adapt to it and react quick enough to "reset" the system to regain braking ability when and if it happens. The proper was of dealing with it is to get off the pedal and then immediately back on - similar to pumping the pedal if you feel you may have lost your brakes entering a braking zone. I hope everyone experiences this once in a low speed environment so they know what to expect - like I said, it is scary the first time it ever happens...
                            Is that the same feeling as when the abs kicks in during the winter and the car just slides forward? And the brake pedal just gets rock hard when you lift your foot off the brakes when it happens.
                            "Racing makes Heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty." -- Peter Egan
                            sigpic

Comment

Most of you know I'm a noob still, so take it with a grain of salt, this is simply what I've experienced and has also been confirmed and taught to me by many experienced guys, that ABS isn't safe for the track on stickier tires.

I think the ABS issue (not withstanding the Ice mode, etc) is most identified at the Autox level. However just because it might appear more in that environment doesn't mean it doesn't apply to the track, it's just that you wouldn't really ever perform braking that hard at the track.
                              At auto x braking that hard is not at all uncommon especially in FWD cars in my limited experience.

The danger though is just as real if not more so at the track due to high speed.

Regardless, if you are engaging the ABS it's typically because you made a mistake, and at that point I trust my reflexes and ability to control the car much more than factory settings that take control completely away from me.

Will my car does have a G sensor and traction control, VDC, and ABS seem to work together.
                              I disable them all.
                              My car will actually accelerate faster than its supposed to by the set parameters and it will thus limit throttle.

It also cuts throttle during ABS application and braking
                              AutoSlalom #87

Comment

I have to clear up a couple things...

Most of you know I'm a noob still, so take it with a grain of salt, this is simply what I've experienced and has also been confirmed and taught to me by many experienced guys, that ABS isn't safe for the track on stickier tires.
                                That isn't entirely true because thousands of people are competing with factory braking systems and have had no problems. While most systems are not ideal for much stickier tires, calling them unsafe is a little bit of a stretch. If you do have the money to buy a proper ABS system(i.e Bosch motorsports) you would not have any of these problem and be as far from unsafe as you can get.

I think the ABS issue (not withstanding the Ice mode, etc) is most identified at the Autox level. However just because it might appear more in that environment doesn't mean it doesn't apply to the track, it's just that you wouldn't really ever perform braking that hard at the track.
                                At auto x braking that hard is not at all uncommon especially in FWD cars in my limited experience.
                                Definitely not true, unless you are under-driving your car. You do not brake less because a track is bigger, in fact it is much more important at much higher speed as you have mentioned. What you may be referring to is the abruptness of the weight transfer found at tight autocross events such as PITL - this can easily activate ice mode if a rear wheel is unloaded during hard braking - this you rarely find at a proper circuit.

Regardless, if you are engaging the ABS it's typically because you made a mistake, and at that point I trust my reflexes and ability to control the car much more than factory settings that take control completely away from me.
                                Also not necessarily true. Some drivers prefer to use the ABS to ensure they are maximizing their braking ability, and some cars are more intrusive than others. If said driver can use this technique to his advantage on a very consistent basis, it is not considered a mistake. Now, if he misses the apex because he braked a little too late, that's a mistake, but that can also happen in ABS or non-ABS. However, if that same driver is forced to drive a non-ABS car, he may find it very difficult to adapt as he has always relied on the pulsation of the pedal to determine threshold braking - this habit can be costly!
                                Corey Whiteman

Comment

Working...
                                X